General Sportsball thread

Mané, completely nerveless, scored the winning penalty as if it was a kickabout in the park.

In other news, non-league Borehamwood

2 Likes

Likewise, Nottingham Forest, having easily beaten the Arsenal, today annihilated Leicester City. That’s the wonderful thing about the FA Cup. To be fair, Forest has some rather fantastic players this year, and will likely get promoted (as will Middlesborough, who beat Man United this weekend).

1 Like

Some updates on Americans competing in ice skating (one for China and one for the US)…

4 Likes

Eric Dickerson’s ailments are grim reminder of NFL glory’s heavy bodily toll

USA Today

No paywall:

https://archive.md/0BSHF

“Man, my sleep is messed up,” Dickerson, 61, told USA TODAY Sports from his home in Calabasas, California, during a wide-ranging phone interview. “The best sleep I’ve had in the last three years was when we went to London in 2019. I slept on the plane. I went, ‘Damn! Why can’t I sleep like that at home?’"

The lack of sleep and assorted issues provide Dickerson with constant reminders of the toll he paid with his body to produce his remarkable, Hall of Fame career. It’s striking to assess the personal costs against the backdrop of football’s biggest annual celebration, set to be staged for the first time in 29 years in the Los Angeles area with Super Bowl 56 LVI.

Beyond the glitz, hype and glory that surrounds the NFL’s product, there’s this contrasting snapshot: so many retired men like Dickerson, dealing with scars and long-term effects from playing the sport in which, yes, they willingly chose to participate.

8 Likes
3 Likes

It’s a stupid buzzfeed listicle, but it’s funny as hell…

5 Likes

There’s more than one team in the Bundesliga?

5 Likes

Elon Musk: hold my mimosa

4 Likes
3 Likes

Meanwhile…

4 Likes

I think the reasoning was that a loose outfit could be designed to act like a wingsuit and give an unfair advantage to a jumper. Why only women were disqualified needs investigation, though.

2 Likes

And the fact that one of the disqualified people wore the same outfit on a previous day and was fine.

I think the IOCs corruption is well known, they’re just not trying to hide it any more.

5 Likes

Apparently, and I am by no means expert, the weight of the competitor changing (lowering) made the difference.

Speaking of figure skating…

4 Likes

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

2 Likes

Should I be surprised that the restaurant owned by the Chelios family isn’t flying a chinese flag today?

Where’s their pride?!?!?

3 Likes

Bundesliga: Bayern Munich suffer historic defeat against Bochum amid playoffs debate

Success Kid__Not bad!__365x485

4 Likes

I’m missing @jlw 's annual Superb Owl post.today

3 Likes

It is 7am.

6 Likes