General Sportsball thread

Sweden and Czech, in the same group, have come out with similar statements. I assume FIFA will produce alternate venues but permit Russia to continue to compete.

3 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

He needs to hand over ownership, not stewardship. Is Marina Granovskaia still director? If so, this means zilch.

1 Like

“All of Russia hates our fans […] because for them we are ‘hachi’, ‘churki’, we are from the Caucasus,” says Rustam Kalibatov, who runs the Moscow chapter of the Red-White Djigits. “This I cannot understand – the country that defeated fascism has more fascists than Germany.”

8 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

Atlanta United kicks off their new season today with a match against Sporting Kansas City…

conquer major league soccer GIF by Atlanta United

My friends with the season tickets are actually physically going to the game, so I told her to let me know how it is…

3 Likes
6 Likes

Sometimes I think we don´t deserve these kids.

6 Likes

CF Montreal too, against Orlando. Getting underway in about five minutes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And it’s not going well. Down 2-0 at the 68th minute and Quioto is red-carded. Sigh…

2 Likes
6 Likes

conquer major league soccer GIF by Atlanta United

17 year old Caleb Wiley got his first MLS goal! Another homegrown player!

5 Likes
6 Likes

There was only one Russian team left in European club competition, so not a big problem there.

This should extend to clubs elsewhere owned by oligarchs. I’ve been singularly unimpressed by Chelsea’s response to the invasion. (The manager’s evasion during an interview yesterday, and the owner saying he was giving the club’s “stewardship” to the trustees, an essentially meaningless gesture.) Though the news today is that Ukraine has asked the owner to help with peace efforts:

If this is actually true then the earlier bullshit is forgiven. If it is more posturing by the club then it should be shut down.

3 Likes

And drop Gazprom sponsorship

2 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes