General Sportsball thread

2 Likes

The Hague Stadium was less fortunate (and watch the church wobbling).

4 Likes

And wow…

5 Likes

Some of you know i am a big Steeler fan, but this makes me very happy with them.

Brian Flores was canned as head coach of the Dolphins for bullshit reasons, called out the NFL for racism and was assumed to have ended his coaching career, much like a certain well-known QB did. The Steelers stepped up and brought him in, in a position of need for them, so not really altruism, but realizing this guy can help them. At the time of Flores firing, the Steelers Mike Tomlin was the only Black head coach in the NFL. A couple have been hired since, but there is a history. The Rooney Rule, despite it’s questionable effectiveness, was pushed by the Steelers owner, and they continue to do pretty well in that area.

8 Likes

I used to have a big Steelers vs. Eagles rivalry with my cousin, but they won me over with this (and the departure of Roethlisberger).

wiz khalifa steelers GIF

6 Likes

Just saw this…apparently people tuned out of this years olympics.

6 Likes

Just as well in my book that it’s less popular. Competitive single-minded, freakishly obsesive mastery to the exclusion of so much else has long failed to strike me as a wonderful thing.

4 Likes

They’re still pretty popular in Norway.

Drugs and sportswashing can take a toll on one’s enjoyment of an event.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

american horror story tate GIF

2 Likes

Some news from my local FC…

And, they finished up their pre-season with a win!

2 Likes

New minor league baseball team named the Kentucky Wild Health Genomes

1 Like

The last week at Carlisle United has been busy.

We lost on Saturday and went into the relegation places. I can’t watch them play, but reading other peoples reports on how this is the worst team in living memory isn’t promising (including the team who finished second bottom in 1987-88, the team that finished bottom in 1991-92 after Aldershot were liquidated, and the Great Escape teams between 1999 and 2004). Fans were demanding action, but expected nothing. Then yesterday happened.

There is no denying that Paul Simpson is the best Carlisle manager since Bob Stokoe back in the early 80s (and Bob is regarded as the second best Carlisle manager ever), but unlike last time he does not have the financial support of someone like Fred Story to get him out of the mess we are in. If anyone can save the team from relegation it is Simpson, but it is going to be far from easy.

Pessimism and supporting Carlisle United are a natural partnership.

4 Likes

The Athletic is running a live blog (linked at bottom) on the effect of Putin’s invasion of Ukraine on football. I think it is paywalled, so I will report some highlights here:

• Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich should be “no longer able to own a football club in this country”, ministers in the UK have heard. [Abramovich is widely believed to be a proxy/bag holder for Putin.]

• UEFA is moving the Champions League final out of Russia. [Irony: Chelsea is the current title holder]

• Brazilian footballers in Ukraine appeal for help.

Marlon, a defender for Shakhtar Dontesk, posted on Instagram along with several other players and their families.

“Really the desperation is high,” he captioned the post. "We are living in chaos.

"We are getting support from our club. But the desperation is agonising.

“And we expect support from our country. We speak on behalf of all Brazilians in Ukraine.”

• FIFA president Infantino speaks on the Ukraine invasion [“We will update on the World Cup qualifiers soon. We can take decisions immediately as soon as its needed.”]

• Roberto De Zerbi, the head coach of Shakhtar Donetsk, has spoken about the situation in Ukraine.

“I am staying in my room. Today is not a good day,” De Zerbi told Sportitalia (via footballitalia).

“There are 13 Brazilian players here and my staff. We could have returned home, but we preferred to wait. Last night we woke up to the noise of explosions.”

Ukraine and neighbouring areas have closed their airspace, meaning civilians cannot leave the country by plane.

• Russian participation in Euros set to be discussed at UEFA meeting
  • All UEFA games will go ahead tonight
4 Likes
5 Likes

(More from the Athletic liveblog)

• Official confirmation from UEFA, the UCL final is being moved from St Petersburg to Stade de France in St Denis
  • DFL ( German football league) condemns the Russian invasion
3 Likes
5 Likes
  • Russian side Spartak Moscow will face RB Leipzig in the last 16 of the Europa League. Spartak Moscow will face RB Leipzig in Germany on March 10. The second leg will take place on March 17 but it is not yet known where that will take place. [UEFA has banned these games in Russia, but hasn’t banned Russian teams.]
1 Like
6 Likes