General Spring Holiday Thread

So, what distinctly Irish things would be in a St. Patricks day sale?

1. The “good” dishes
  2. A big stick. You never know when you need a big stick.
  3. A broken vase with the crack turned towards rhe wall
  4. Giant rosary beads and a sacred heart picture - two for one deal!
  5. Two porcelain dogs to put over the fireplace
  6. Turf. Just turf
  7. A giant box of Tayto crisps
  8. A woolen blanket with two blue stripes across the top
  9. Bottles of Cidona
  10. Pictures of the pope
8 Likes

I mean, as an Irish American person, I’m neither for or against St Patrick—it just seems like the American observation thereof is a bunch of foolishness about leprechauns and the color green

I’ll give it this though, it’s the next big party in New Orleans after Mardi Gras and by then almost all the tourists are gone :partying_face:

4 Likes

All that sounds good! Half off all of it!

Wait… is that a thing? Or a popular stereotype? Or both?

whole or torn?

sinead-pope

Well yeah… it’s the popular nice stereotypes of Irish or Irish Americans (which includes me).

Savannah has a pretty big party for St. Patrick’s day…

7 Likes

Fairly common to see in older homes.

unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-titus

8 Likes

… maybe we should have a snek festival every year

4 Likes

Do they have bottles of poitin hidden under the counter, that you can only buy if you can convince them you aren’t garda?

2 Likes

7 Likes

Green beer origins:

4 Likes

Here in Michigan the biggest Spring holiday is the Detroit Tigers Opening Day, it’s a state holiday.

We haven’t gone since covid but it’s a huge day here. The atmosphere outside the stadium is awesome, so even if you can’t get tickets just wandering around outside for a few hours is loads of fun. We’ve been in rain and snow, freezing and short sleeve weather, it’s always a crap shoot.

We’re still avoiding large crowds so we’re skipping again this year but we may go back to a few mid week games this year.

5 Likes

I have fond memories of the advice from SNL on that:

Siobhan “Juicy” Cahill (Mary Gross’ character from The Irish Radio Hour) gives tips on how to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, with references to inebriation and vomiting (eat and drink a lot of green things to make a “splash for St. Patrick”).

from

Another SNL holiday classic is covered here:

4 Likes

… 32 days left until Easter :rabbit:

3 Likes

5 Likes

I think it’s important to note that it is the popular stereotype in America. The whole top of the morning to ya mischievous happy luck of the kiss me I’m Irish person persona doesn’t exist (as far as I know) in the rest of Europe. We tend to think of Irish people as either depressed alcoholic revolutionaries or depressed alcoholic authors.

9 Likes

Indeed…

4 Likes

… it must be spring, because my cat is shedding all the cat hair in the universe at the same time :cat2:

7 Likes

A PSA before St. Patrick’s Day:

4 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Clannad’s “Chuaigh Mé 'na Rosann” and “Two Sisters” are my faves for the day from this playlist:

:shamrock:

3 Likes

Got more in a post over in the Da Music thread

3 Likes

I got 5/15. Shameful

5 Likes