Generic 2016 US Election Cycle Recycling Bin

Are we sure that’s real?

That sounds, word for word, like the dichotomy they she described between the two different kinds of Trump voters.

1 Like

Politico and The Intercept are carrying the story as well. Whether that makes it credible…dunno.

It certainly isn’t out of character, though. She’s a centre-right Reaganite, passing herself off as a liberal, who routinely uses “pragmatism” as an excuse to oppose social democrat policies.

Still a better option than the fascist, however.

4 Likes

And yet every other day I read an article about millennials who ‘need a reason to vote for’ Clinton. Grow the fuck up. Now. It sucks, but this year’s election reality does not provide an opportunity for you to productively exercise your ideals. You’ll have all the time in your life in-between November 9th and the next election to do just that but right now you have to make a pragmatic decision.

5 Likes

They don’t “need” one, but it’d help - and the party platform is actually pretty good.

Yes, she’s obviously the only sane choice. Yes, she’s not a “lesser evil”, just a bog-standard centrist Democrat. So maybe it’s a good lesson about compromise, marginal gains etc. But telling people they should grow up and be pragmatic and hold their nose to vote for her probably isn’t going to be that successful. And little digs like this are totally unnecessary and counter-productive. I can only imagine that the idea is comments like that get more votes from the centre / centre-right than they lose from the left.

7 Likes

I agree. I’m just frustrated. (Clearly.) I knew even while writing it that it’d be more productive if I’d just excised that bit, but I left it in because that’s just where my emotions are right now. If nothing else, I suppose the tone of my post is a symptom of the frustrations amidst the center-left electorate.

3 Likes

There’s a new group speaking out against Trump:

While it’s in no way affiliated with the franchise or Paramount, the Facebook group gathers dozens of actors, writers and celebrities associated with every incarnation of Star Trek to date. Their mission: to convince Trekkers and Trekkers that a vote for Trump is a vote against “the vision of hope, optimism and inclusion” that Star Trek came to embody. There’s a full list of names on their Facebook page, and more are being added by the day.

I’m not sure I’ve ever been so proud to be a Trekkie… :grin:

7 Likes

What part of this was mocking? She said that these are young people that the economy is failed and they are seeking political revolution as the solution to an adult life that didn’t live up to their expectations?

4 Likes

I currently keep The Illustrated Guide to Law in my RSS feed, because it explains law and criminal procedure in a way IANALs can understand. Even though it’s American law, and I’m not American, it’s all still based on the same English common-law system, so I think more of it is relevant than is irrelevant.

Anyway, having covered Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure, the author has now moved onto Constitutional Law (so, the part least likely to mean anything to non-Americans). They’re currently explaining how the Constitution came about, and the latest comic seems really relevant to today’s political situation:

6 Likes
4 Likes

Everything old is new again.

4 Likes

Wwwwwwwwwow.

3 Likes

can it just be fucking november already…

1 Like

In The SFV’s universe, it never stopped being 1994. Thus the constant references to things that happened around that time, and inability to connect later events with the correct year. Referring to an attack ad originally produced for GWH Bush in 1988 makes perfect sense in that light.

2 Likes

…Street Fighter 5? San Fernando Valley?

3 Likes

Aren’t you paying attention? Short Fingered Vulgarian.

5 Likes

UKIP doing well post-Farage, I see.
(I guess with May doing her best to implement everything UKIP want there really is no point in them any more)

Any bets on Neil Hamilton?

Well that’s better. Just one more month of horror at the possibility of things changing.

7 Likes

This one makes me more hopeful

7 Likes

To borrow from Bill Clinton: It’s the legislature, stupids.*

*Not implying that the Democratic electorate are idiots, just that they need to get out there and vote for equally important reasons having nothing to do with who’s in the Oval Office.

5 Likes

It’s the judiciary, too. I want a liberal supreme court for a generation, please.

7 Likes