Generic 2016 US Election Cycle Recycling Bin

Just finished a New York magazine article from 2 days ago: The GOP’s Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Just Begun. The following passage in the middle of the article actually made me stop in incredulity:

Consider the following statements that have been made as this campaign comes to a close. “The election is rigged,” Mississippi’s Republican governor Phil Bryant has declared, arguing that since blue states have more people, “all you have to do is win those particularly large states. You can forget about flyover country. That doesn’t seem fair to me at all.” Pat Buchanan has gone further, noting that, since politicians “rig the system through mass immigration and a mammoth welfare state so that Middle America is never again able to elect one of its own,” it was only natural and fair that “it is the ­populist-nationalist right that is moving beyond the niceties of liberal democracy to save the America they love.”

They’re saying this due to their frustration that someone born in Illinois (flyover country) is about to trounce someone born in NYC.

This is a level of willful ignorance that astounds me.

12 Likes

Still waiting for a PNW president…

9 Likes

They’re gonna need a new colour for NY.

Or just change it to 6+.

6 Likes

How much more black could it be?

You could argue Clinton has three home states (Illinois, Arkansas and New York) just like Obama (Hawaii, Illinois and Kenya).

8 Likes

Interesting…so then why isn’t Kentucky colored pink, for Lincoln?

3 Likes

In a truly magical universe everything has its opposite. For example, there’s anti-light. That’s not the same as darkness, because darkness is merely the absence of light. Anti-light is what you get if you pass through darkness and out the other side. On the same basis, a state of knurdness isn’t like sobriety. By comparison, sobriety is like having a bath in cotton wool. Knurdness strips away all illusion, all the comforting pink fog in which people normally spend their lives, and lets them see and think clearly for the first time ever. Then, after they’ve screamed a bit, they make sure they never get knurd again.

• Sourcery by Terry Pratchett
5 Likes

He’s not generally associated with Kentucky, is he?

If you want to do it by birth state you can get rid of Lincoln and have Reagan in exchange, if you really want to.

You lose Obama and Grant too, though.

I guess Texas would be down a couple of Bushes, as well.

2 Likes

When you consider that the original 13 states are going to have a home field advantage, the larger-than-1 states of NY, MA, VA, and DE make sense. In fact, PA, NJ, and NH at only one is surprising.

But look at how well “flyover country” has done!

Not totally surprising: we earn our stereotypes. We have a tendency to be forthright and hard working. Why wouldn’t those be good qualifications in a President?

But NO ONE from the Rocky Mountain region, or the PNW? That is odd.

Not odd: Florida Man has never risen to the challenge (yet). :wink:

10 Likes

I thought the NJ one was Nixon, TBH (I knew he was from California, but I thought he moved his residence there before becoming President. Guess it was after).

Closest they’ve got was this guy, I think.

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly. How they’re determining “home state” doesn’t seem to be consistent at all. More like “what state did the person live in when they were elected?”

2 Likes

It’s confusing to me:

3 Likes

Wow: weasel words!

6 Likes

He is saying Welfare doesn’t support those poor families in the country, only those blacks in the city. He’s also saying those Mexicans are not working the fields and mass-food production facilities in middle America, only being housed in key Democratic areas.

It’s also ignoring the massive unsustainable handouts given to the food production industry for middle America which were taken from the people and handed to unregulated corporations by the GOP. Because he doesn’t give a fuck about the people, he only wants his team to win.

7 Likes

Meanwhile, my federal tax dollars go down to his state of Mississippi, because they’re net users of government support. Who’s the welfare sponge, again?

5 Likes

Something weird is going down on Twitter right now – mass coordinated unfollows of Hillary’s twitter account, and apparently Michelle Obama’s account (and her Facebook) deleted all mentions of Hillary. This might be real news or not; most people reporting it on social media have “deplorable” in their name.

5 Likes

The thing is they are saying things were purged but there’s nothing they’re pointing to that’s gone, just noting a search like ‘clinton from:MichelleObama’ isn’t finding things. But if you look at Michelle Obama’s feed she’s not the sort to engage in that sort of politics, so unless there’s some shots of things that she’d posted that are now gone I’m not sure what to make of it.

As for the Twitter unfollows, it’s that time of the month when the fake accounts get purged - my account lost like 15 recently (dropped from >1000 to just under again). And again there’s a claim that there was a change but nothing I’m seeing points to a meaningful delta. It all sounds like the typical right-wing paranoid fantasies they’re constantly regurgitating, though who knows. Even if there’s some phenomena they’re seeing, the narrative they’re using to explain it is all speculative.

9 Likes
3 Likes

In seven days this will all be over.

6 Likes

Look on the bright side. You’ll either have The Fake-tan Fuhrer in charge or you’ll be in for four years of “It Was Rigged” wingnuttery with an outside chance of “2nd Amendment Solutions”. So, yay?

13 Likes

I’m seeing a number of articles that, in other news cycles, might have been published shortly after a Clinton loss, to help democrats deconstruct and rebuild identities. Here’s one.

2 Likes