Generic 2016 US Election Cycle Recycling Bin

2 Likes

Yup. Of the Gopers, Kasich wears the most convincing human-suit. If Jeb! gives up, Kasich could draw both Carson (“he’s such a nice man”) and establishment support. Of the lizard-people, the base is going to go Trump or go home, so it should be down to TvK at the end. But who can tell? Cruz might actually have The Rump dumped in a landfill. The stakes are as high as the crazy.

3 Likes

I thought Trump was a Slitheen, not a lizard person.

2 Likes

So my state has open primaries. I considered voting for Trump to win the Republican nomination, but then discovered that my state actually doesn’t have truly open primaries. Still, my friend was horrified at this suggestion. I personally think that a Trump nomination would be a gift to leftists in this country. A Trump presidency might be even better, long-term, however horrible in the short-term.

Thoughts?

1 Like

That’s some fucking tough love there mate! >.<

3 Likes

Yeah, he’d lose.

(whereas Rubio might win, so I hope he won’t be the nominee - but he will)

I don’t know about Hillary, but Bernie will beat all Republicans including Trump in the general election:

4 Likes

Honestly, I’m not so sure it would be a gift. I think that assumes that there are no behind the scenes shenanigans happening, regarding voting. But if all the polls were right on as @daneel and @Cowicide indicate, and the vote is actually not rigged, then I don’t think Trump can beat either Clinton or Sanders. I’ve heard plenty of people I know, who are pretty ardent republicans express disgust with Trump, though I’d doubt they’d vote for Clinton or Sanders. They’d either go for the 3rd party candidate (Libertarian, likely) or they’d stay home.

2 Likes

Gary Johnson’s running again, isn’t he?

1 Like

You know, I don’t know, but I’d suspect so. the Libertarians are always on the ballot here, but I’m not into them. I’ve written in the Greens a couple of times, and Nader, too (when he was running as an indie).

Actually, perhaps not? Here is there primary field:

https://www.lp.org/candidates/presidential-candidates-2016/

I fear a Trump or Cruz presidency because my kids are within range of a military draft…

4 Likes

Have either of them floated the idea of reinstating the draft? Cause that wouldn’t go over well, I think.

It would be a bait-and-switch maneuver, so they would decidedly not talk about it right now. But with either of those warhawks in office, we would be drawn into ever-increasing global conflict and by hook or by crook our young ones would be put on the front lines.

1 Like

But I don’t even know if they’d have to start a draft when you have plenty of Erik Princes running around, willing to fight your battles for you via a privatized army. I’m starting to wonder if the age of the “total war” concept is slipping, at least here and in Europe. You still need citizen buy-in for a draft, or you get the 60s youth revolt against Vietnam again. We’ve had 2, going on 3 generations now where war is a volunteer effort. The electorate is split enough on the issue where a bait and switch might not work out.

I do think we’re already deeply involved in the global conflict, up to our eyeballs. This is world war 3, I think. It’s just not happening on the traditional world war battlefields of Europe (well, much).

1 Like

All valid analyses, but as I said, it was a fear. Probably an irrational one …but I don’t think of Cruz or Trump as rational, and so perhaps my fears aren’t outside the realm of possibility. With Hillary, Bernie, perhaps some of the Republicans, my fear probability for a draft is very low. With Cruz or Trump, it’s up quite a bit, due to their mercurial irrationality.

1 Like

Fair enough! But if things go like they normally have been, they’ll have the crazy guy and then pivot to the “moderate” candidate, which means Bush, most likely.

1 Like

I live in what much of the rest of the country considers to be a rusted-out hulk of a shithole (why would 5 million people live around here if that was actually true?), but you know what? It’s intentionally close to Canukistan. Drive to Port Huron and swim a couple hundred feet to Sarnia, if need be, close.

Sure, things were going pretty good when I moved here with Slick Willy in office, but the move seemed much more prudent after G-Dub took office. The prospect of Margret Atwood’s Gilead looms perilously close should Cruz manage to snag the nomination. I still hold out hope that some sexual proclivities come to light - probability with the “family values” types is unusually high.

On the bright side, another Bernie sign showed up in my neighborhood this week. Number of H. Clinton signs remains constant at zero. No bumper stickers for her sighted, either, and this is one of those towns where people absolutely slather their cars in bumper stickers.

4 Likes

Vote Transhumanist?

Guessing Clinton is worried about how she looks RE: Wall Street.

This is worth a look, too. Engadget’s guide to the 2016 presidential election

We’ve scoured the internet to find out where all 16 presidential hopefuls stand on 12 key technology and science issues and graded each on their relevant knowledge and experience.

Guess who comes out on top?

1 Like