Gentleman angry in court

Everyone looks just slightly annoyed by that guy.

1 Like

Not sure there’s much good reason to bring up mental illness in this context.

11 Likes

Court cops are called bailiffs.

3 Likes

“read” a book…

2 Likes

We may have different experience with the court & criminal justice system, and how it is equipped to handle people who make outbursts like this. Maybe this guy is just a genuinely terrible person doing irrational things, but our courts do a bad job of figuring that out and acting accordingly in my experience.

10 Likes

Hope his kids and their mom(s) cut all contact and lead lives more sane than if this guy were around.

1 Like

Last week I encountered a gentleman kicking a parking ticket dispenser as it took his money without dispensing said ticket. I informed him there were other machines in the area, and he can apply to get his money refunded. So he stopped kicking the machine and proceeded to beat the shit out of me instead.

People with these anger issues… they take a crappy situation and turn it into some raging violent episode that does nothing to solve their current problem and only adds to their woes.

In my case, to whom and where you unleash can also make things that much worse. I stepped off the City sidewalk and onto to the Government court house lawn for the eventual thumping for two reasons -
#1 Someone (likely me) is going down, soft grass is better than concrete and
#2 Assaulting an ‘on-duty’ Gov employee on Gov land adds extra charges and will fuck you for life.

My guy was a yippy ass-mouth like the guy in the video … all huff & puff what are you gonna do asshole? type. Well, I took a few steps back… that’s what I did.

Sorry… bit of venting… these pricks with the rage virus don’t deserve any mercy.

22 Likes

Well at least he stopped kicking the ticket machine so there’s that.

But more seriously I hope he didn’t inflict too much damage to you and that he gets his just deserts in court.

5 Likes

This reboot of Night Court lacks the charm of the original.

17 Likes

No black eyes or loose teeth, maybe a small facial scar or two, mostly healed up. Folks that park along that stretch are 99% of the time going to some court or legal thing … family court, traffic court, counselling services, mediation… they don’t come here because they WANT to… so knowing that, I stupidly poked a bear.

I’m not traumatized or otherwise made fearful of life because of this, I refuse to give that SOB that kind of power. But I am hoping that justice will prevail… I have to believe in that.

9 Likes

Unless you were being obnoxious about it, you were providing additional information that should have been gratefully accepted. :roll_eyes:

But I say the extra charges for stepping back is teh awesome!
Sorry you had to endure a beatdown for it though. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

The problem that i believe @milliefink is pointing out is not about the court’s abilities, but in the assumption that violent and troublesome implies mental illness. Look around. We’re a bit of an asshole of a species.

16 Likes

Perhaps this is getting too far afield, but I think that issue of our criminal justice system not dealing with mental health issues when it comes to violent and troublesome people is the issue I was getting at, especially when it comes to understandably unsympathetic folks like the gentleman in this story. (who may have issues, or may just be an asshole, or may have some combination of both, I don’t know)

To be clear, I’m not implying that violent outbursts = mental illness, much less vice versa, but one doesn’t have to spend much time in a criminal court to see a lot of folks with mental health issues who are in the gears of the criminal justice system, and whose problems only escalate when those problems aren’t treated.

12 Likes

I know a guy that, while he’s never stated it directly, gives all indications that he is into the “sovereign citizen” thing. I got into a bit of an argument with him once regarding the “freedoms” he was under the delusion he possessed. It seemed sad to me to discover that he was utterly ignorant of the power of the state. The only thing I’ve been able to conclude about him is that he has never had any real interaction w/ the state and has more or less led a sheltered life. So sheltered, it seems, that he was able to be led to believe that he could escape it all with some half-baked legal trick that boiled down to simple non-compliance. The best and most humorous part of it all? He lives in the suburbs! Hahaha!

8 Likes

Do not make assumptions as to anyone’s mental state, race, gender, ethnicity, religious beliefs, group affiliation or sexual orientation without corroboration.

Per the TOS.

Unless there is corroboration that this man is mentally ill (something reported in TFA, for example), you are using this case to springboard you discussion by implying he does.

If you want to discuss this, you can create a topic under “wrath” that can be used as a general discussion topic for how mental illness is mistreated in the court system, without needing to link it to a case where it may not even be the issue.

Nobody is saying “don’t discuss the issue”. But this story is not about that issue.

13 Likes

when keeping it real goes wrong.

if its a virus, then its an illness and should be treatable. just sayin.

Agreed, sounds like a valid issue, but proly for a new/different thread?

ETA, as noted above, thanks @MalevolentPixy

7 Likes

Not for nothing, but that’s kind of what I was getting at. It’s easy to have a chuckle at the jerk in court blowing up and getting hauled out screaming, especially when he appears to be an unsympathetic jerk saying horrible things. In my experience, there are often (not always, of course) other issues like mental illness going on that have compounded that situation, and our criminal justice system does a terrible job of addressing those issues.

We’ll have to agree to disagree about whether the thread doing that chuckling is the place to bring that up. But I’ll leave it at that and avoid a meta discussion about the discussion.

3 Likes

Say what you want, but I thought it was sweet and romantic the way he exchanged "I love you"s with a lady when they brought him in for the last time. Everyone is beautiful to someone, I guess.