Gentleman arrested after bragging at his dentist's office that he was at the Capitol riots

What kind of person brags about anything at a dentist’s office?

12 Likes

To be fair, the dentist was really drilling him.

18 Likes

The most surprising part for me is that someone dumb enough to support Trump still has enough sense to visit the dentist.

15 Likes

I just hope that the tipster is either a fellow patient, or if part of the dental staff, their anonymity is preserved, because this just screams HIPAA violation (even though it is for a “good cause” in tracking down an unidentified fugitive) for the employee and dental practice.

Still, if the dental office is involved in any capacity, it would be worth it to file the required disclosures to the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, so that such involvement could be evaluated as a “lawful disclosure” and not as a PHI breach.

1 Like

I would risk a HIPAA violation if it meant bringing an insurrectionist to justice.

8 Likes

The FBI:
Animated GIF

6 Likes

This has nothing to do with the insurrectionist’s health. Also, dumbass probably blabbed about his manly man-ing at the Capitol loudly enough that people outside the dentist’s office heard it.

16 Likes

HIPAA would be if he disclosed the treatment of the patient. It’s not the same as attorney-client privilege. The dentist is fine.

Your daily ELI5 on HIPPA - HIPAA prevents your doctor from disclosing your private medical information. That’s really it in a nutshell. It has nothing to do with things you say about your health, your doctor’s opinion of you, the Yelp rating of the hospital you stayed at, etc.

11 Likes

Oh Dog, I was worried.

5 Likes

Brain cavity. The gentleman has brain cavity.

I’m not a dentist but I can tell.

5 Likes

https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-24-2016/MD732s.mp4

5 Likes

When I saw dentist office I was sure nitrous oxide would be involved. But evidently he was bragging before he saw the dentist.

1 Like

I think HIPPA also covers anything you say that’s related to your treatment, directly or indirectly. So if the guy says “I chipped my tooth while breaking into Congress on January 6” HIPPA covers that, since it is related to the medical visit. If he’s just bragging about being there, and it has nothing to do with his health or why he’s there that day, it’s not. Additionally, HIPPA only covers the medical staff working there - if you say something about your health or treatment loud enough for other patients to hear, HIPPA doesn’t prevent them from telling whoever they want about it.

3 Likes

Been a few years since my last HIPAA training (2 A’s, 1 P) but self-disclosure is not magically covered. Saying “I have an oozing watzit” out loud in a waiting room, hallway, ambulance, exam room, etc. does not magically invoke attorneys. It’s privacy of medical records and data.

11 Likes

Hell’s where they came from, and it’s where they belong.

1 Like

If only those cavities could be filled with wisdom, kindness, empathy.

8 Likes

He got the chair. Harsh.

Or just blasted with gel guns. Either way.

4 Likes

sounds-reasonable

2 Likes

It has nothing to do with his fucking teeth. He tried to overthrow the governement, FFS! The dentist wasn’t like “yeah, he’s got plaque and needs his wisdom teeth removed…”

Right? He’s publicly confessing to a crime!!!

They keep doing this, because they believe they did nothing wrong. :woman_shrugging: They literally believe it’s okay to threaten members of congress and to beat police officers, if Mayor McTreason authorized it and the victims are seen as part of the “democrat” party. Because they don’t believe in democracy any more, they believe in a one party state where those of us who don’t fit into their blinkered world view are less than second class citizens.

That’s not violent insurrection…

10 Likes

Exactly: “Hello, FBI tipline? I have a patient who claims to have been part of the January 6th uprising” is not a violation.

“And here’s the results of his last X-ray, and he needs to floss” is a violation, up until the FBI needs to know. BUT MAH PRIVACIES doesn’t apply when your activity has nothing to do with your treatment. And if you photograph the act. And brag about it.

True Patriots everywhere! As far as the eye can see!

7 Likes