Gentleman gives rude drivers a piece of his mind without going into Karen mode (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/22/gentleman-gives-rude-drivers-a-piece-of-his-mind-without-going-into-karen-mode-video.html

I don’t get the premise of the post. This is exactly what “Karen mode” looks like. We’re supposed to be impressed by his civility because he carries cards around to call people “assholes” instead of waiting around all day for them to come back so he can yell at them in person?

Besides, from the video it looks like both drivers parked equally close to the dividing line so it’s not clear which (if either) is the bigger asshole.

9 Likes

These kinds of passive-aggressive notes for bad drivers have been around for decades. The kind of thing you used to photocopy at work and pass around.

9 Likes

That definitely seems like the sort of driver who will be driving around with that thing on their windshield for weeks without noticing.

1 Like

I don’t think we can infer much about that driver of this sedan based on the seconds-long clip we see of the parking situation. Maybe they parked so far to the right side of the space because the car to their left was encroaching on their space when they pulled in. And anyway they’re still (if barely) within the lines, just like the white van to their right is. Heck, maybe the van is squeezed in so tightly because they pulled into a compact parking space. Or maybe everyone involved is an asshole, including the passive-agressive guy.

12 Likes

When I was a kid me and a friend were really into corny humor and gags. Stuff like you would see in the back of Boys Life.

One time he got a pad of these fake parking tickets where you check off a box about how big of an idiot you were for parking the way you did. I don’t think we ever got the balls to actually place them on anyone other than parents cars and a neighbors, once.

3 Likes

Plot twist: It was his car the whole time, he just wanted to show how his card would be used if he actually randomly saw someone park like that.

3 Likes

Well, they’re also hanging their backend well out into the parking lot and they didn’t even attempt to enter the parking spot at a reasonable angle. Occasionally you have to shift your parking within the lines to compensate for someone else’s parking, but that angle, the fact they can’t even be assed to fully get into the spot and also are riding the line doesn’t instill a ton of confidence in their daily driving. I will regularly pass up parking spots just so I don’t park next to someone who is clearly more likely to take a chunk out of my car on their way out. Nothing here indicates “sensible driver”.

1 Like

aBdNxP1_460s

3 Likes

I remember this one being popular.

6 Likes

Parking in my neighborhood is tight, and everybody who lives here generally knows where the invisible demarcation lines are.

I wouldn’t go so far as to print cards, but I did once write a single-use haiku for the windshield of someone taking up two spaces:

Your car moves forward.
Behold! Behind arises
one more legal space.

3 Likes

I’m obviously in the minority here, but I feel these “joke” cards are just assholishness. Some times a person will park stupidly and of course it pisses you off. That’s life in the Automobile Age. Printing up cards like this to leave on peoples’ windshields means you’re going out with a chip on your shoulder, seeking an opportunity to tell somebody (anonymously, of course, and not in person) that they’re a jerk.

It wouldn’t bother me so much if the last decade or so hadn’t elevated being an asshole to a symbol of clan identity. I’m weary of the indignant stream of moral superiors “just letting us know” that we inferior folk don’t park/talk/dress/look/smell/think/copulate properly, all of which they do perfectly. Your mileage may vary.

3 Likes

Not sure you’re in the minority. I think it’s pretty clear that a number of other people on this thread share your opinion, based on which posts received the most "likes "

6 Likes

I know I am in the minority, but at this point in time I think all car drivers are assholes.

3 Likes

Hey now, there’s at least one exception to that statement:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.