Gentleman who "snatched" ball meant for kid at game was actually a good guy

Ya, needs an update. This guy did the right thing multiple times and is getting bashed for it.

1 Like

I don’t know that it looks much better with the context. The coach was pretty clearly throwing the ball at the kid in the front row, and now that I know he had already caught a ball, it looks to me like both the man and woman behind him are saying (at the coach) “wtf, he already got one!” and then acting all smug when the guy grabs it instead. Which is still a pretty childish look. You’re an adult, you shouldn’t be fighting with a kid over a ball (that was thrown to him!) even if he already caught one, two, or twelve.

Is it so bad that he deserves to go viral for it? Probably not. But at the same time, nobody knows who he is, he looks like every white dad at a baseball game, it’s not like he’s gonna be recognized as the ball nabber in the future, it’s fine.

Ya know, the guy’s a thief but the woman he hands the ball to also earns some opprobrium. She had to know the ball was meant for the kid and should have had the grace to give it back to him.

Gross. Needs a Unicorn Chaser. https://youtu.be/NsUQU3r2nsM

I’m willing to bet that the sentiment “it’s fine” is a lot easier to put out there when you’re not being held up as the personification of everything that’s wrong with people and strangers aren’t wishing violence upon you.

It’s just more than a little fucked up how quickly we latch onto the click-bait narrative and hold on to it like grim death, just so long as it lets us feel morally superior to someone.

2 Likes

what a disgusting human being. I was hoping that the lady would give him a rebuke and hand the ball to the kid, but no.

Thanks for the added info.

Hey @Carla_Sinclair you really should do a solid and update the headline and/or add an update to the post.

3 Likes

What are you talking about? He didn’t fight with anyone, he picked up a ball that rolled beneath his feet. He gave that kid a ball earlier, and then gave this ball to another kid. People sitting around him are saying he was a great guy. Maybe read the linked article before getting all high and mighty.

1 Like

I remember those days, but I don’t remember seeing the adults. I HAVE seen adults in the stands do crappy stuff, though, so I’m sure you are right.

“No” is correct. I read that the lady took a picture of the ball, then gave it to another kid. We should probably stop jumping to conclusions based on snippets of video. This guy made sure several kids got baseballs. He’s a good guy.

Thank you to the people who pointed out that the story was inaccurate. Apparently the man had actually helped the boy in front of him get another ball earlier. The post has been updated. https://boingboing.net/2018/07/23/gentleman-snatches-ball-meant.html

3 Likes

OK hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but isn’t it clear that neither the kid nor his adult were the least bit upset? In fact, they both appear to nod in aggreement at something the guy said and the child appears to move on to other things of interest immediately.

2 Likes

I think you mean Dollywood.

Ah, half right. Opryland, definitely. I think my grandma’s love for Dolly was impressed so hard upon my psyche that I always associate the two.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.