George Michael, 1963-2016

Bless her pointed head.

10 Likes

2016 ain’t over yet.

9 Likes

Was never a fan of most of his work but I’ll fight anyone in Thunderdome who tries to tell me that Freedom 90 wasn’t one of the best songs of that decade.

14 Likes

“Sun goes down on beloved pop star”
Man, I’d have thought they would have saved that for Elton John. Huh. Maybe they’ll bring it back out again when the time comes.

It’s like 2016 is now saying, “Ok, who won’t they expect? I’ll get those guys!” I’m fully expecting to hear about some deaths of some more celebrities in the next few days. The good ones, too. Not the ones where everyone says, “Christ, finally!” when they die.

Well, there’s still a few days left in the year…

2 Likes

15 Likes

I’m callin’ it. It’s done. Let’s stick a stake in it’s awful heart.

11 Likes

I wasn’t a huge George Michael fan. Though I guess I liked some of his songs growing up like Faith.

But I did really like the EP he put out with Queen as a tribute to Freddy Mercury including his version of Find Me Somebody to Love. Also had Pappa was a Rolling Stone.

4 Likes

I was just thinking about George Michael because Saturday I finally saw the Deadpool movie, which had some GM and Wham! references. And I even thought that the movie being called Deadpool, and being full of pop-culture references, it would be very “2016” if we were to loose one or more before the end of the year. Then this happens the very next fucking day…

5 Likes

We all know what to do when Uri Geller dies.

12 Likes

2016: I’m going to be the worst, with a lot of celebrity deaths and political calamities.
2017: Hold my drink.

16 Likes
10 Likes

Talk about timing. Tragedy and comedy really are next-door neighbours.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I love "Outside"

2 Likes

The worst thing about this is that very soon we will be treated to even more unnecessary covers of “Last Christmas”.

It’s been the worst thing about the holidays for years now.

9 Likes

It was re-listening to that track some years later that made me re-evaluate him; “I’m never gonna dance again
Guilty feet have got no rhythm”. Poetry.

4 Likes

Each to his own! Clockless and thankless dream
And labour, makers, being what we seem.
Soon O enough we turn
Our tools in; brownshirt Time chiefly our works will burn.
(John Berryman)

[edit:
New Year’s Eve.

I’ve done it again; my mind works in strange ways, I was thinking about events and remembered these lines from the poem. But then when I was back with my books I checked and, as usual, the relevant lines were somewhere else:

…I see the dragon of years is almost done
Its claws loosen, its eyes
Crust now with tears & lust and a scale of lies.

Each to his own! Clockless and thankless dream
And labour Makers, being what we seem.
Soon O enough we turn
Our tools in; brownshirt Time chiefly our works will burn.

Worst of years!..no matter, begone;

It’s a lament for the death of talent and the fickleness of the Muse, and Berryman died tragically far too young (as did Lowell.)]

3 Likes

You haven’t heard Cliff Richard singing Mistletoe and Wine then?

4 Likes

Makes me feel just a bit better about confusing Zsa Zsa with Eva last week.

6 Likes

A few other worthwhile later-period George Michael songs… like other people here, I was never a “fan”, but Freedom 90 is a stone cold classic.

2 Likes