George Santos says he will resign – if 142,000 people ask him to

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I said 142 million. That includes everyone across the nation that voted for me. Of course, mine was the only election that wasn’t rigged.

That’s what I was thinking! Thanks for finding the numbers.
There’s no way of knowing who voted for him, but if he was at all sincere (he’s not) he wouldn’t be talking about everyone who’d voted for him, but enough so that he’d have lost.
The further we get into this horrid timeline, the more and more the right wingers have to contort themselves to pretend any claim of moral superiority. It’s constantly depressing, how few of their followers see this.

2 Likes

Wait, what? The director?

3 Likes

worse than that, really. he’s explicitly said “the voters should decide” - so he’s telling santos [whatever his name] not to resign

this does help them keep their lead in the house. if mark gaetz ever gets charged for his trafficking, or brooks and any of the others in the ■■■■■ coup… they could be out of power

and really, im sure the status quo puts a fair amount of pressure on santos to vote the way they want him to. the gop can’t afford any defections on the budget, etc if they really want to sink the country ( and they do… )

5 Likes

140 people …
140,000 people …
Those same 140,000 that voted for me

Congratulations! Your logical fallacy is … Special Pleading (aka Moving the Goal Posts)

5 Likes

Who is this Alex Cox? I went checking to see if the director had become an asshole and didn’t see anything, and the only other one that comes up is dead.

Please don’t tell me that the director of Repo man is an asshole now!

The only thing I can find as far as controversy around the director goes is (from Wikipedia):

“In a March 2007 blog post, Cox referred to Vice President Dick Cheney as “secret architect of the 9-11 atrocities.” In the same article, Cox called the September 11 attacks “Plan Pearl Harbor,” referring to the false flag conspiracy theory surrounding the attack on Pearl Harbor.[21]”

4 Likes

I’m never expecting him to leave. I’m just hoping to humiliate him whenever possible.

2 Likes

Honestly this is why democrats are probably not going to vote him out even if an ethics complaint somehow gets to that point. He’s going to damage them far more than one seat if he stays, and the GOP will just get to replace him if he leaves.

1 Like

It also completely ignores that those 140,000 people didn’t vote for him. They voted for “George Santos;” the fictional jewish immigrant and graduate of a prestigious private school in the Bronx, with a degree in economics and finance who was a varsity volleyball star, who went on to work at Goldman Sachs and Citigroup and found an animal rescue charity - whose grandparents were holocaust victims, and whose mother died in the 9/11 attacks - and who can turn lead into gold, walk on water, divide by zero and whatever other impressive feats I’ve missed.
Not the real George Santos, who is not and did not do any of that.

11 Likes

Sorry, to you and @anon52120741, I meant Alex Jones, of course; though I am glad that my brain headed off in a better direction of its own accord.

Oh, and not this Alex Jones, either.

4 Likes

Exactly. It would have been fun if they had asked him to prove he was the real George Santos - Jewish Catholic, gay straight man, astronaut and combat veteran from the Boer War, with multiple PhDs and JDs from several prestigous universities, some of which even exist - prior to swearing him in as a representative.

10 Likes

Whew! That’s a relief!

1 Like

[quote=“DukeTrout, post:31, topic:239523”] combat veteran from the Boer War
[/quote]

2 Likes

Like “Okay, sure you are a George Santos. But you don’t seem to be the George Santos who won this seat. He hasn’t shown up to get sworn in, so we’re going to have a by-election - bye, bye now.”

3 Likes

Fair point. I’ll agree to that.

Obligs:

10 Likes

… worst adaptation of A Christmas Carol ever :grimacing:

6 Likes

I am sure at night Santos is like, “What is the big deal? I thought we were all just lying through our teeth now? Trump didn’t win the election. He isn’t a billionaire. He wasn’t supposed to have those documents. Jan 6 with an insurrection. Why is it when you guys lie about big things it’s ok, and I just make up my job and school history and suddenly I’m ‘dishonest’?”

5 Likes

better comment:
“if you believe that, there’s a new product i’d love to sell you…”

1 Like

The first step (140 to 140k) is reasonable enough. The first answer is nonsensical, so the simplest explanation is that he just misspoke the same as anyone else might. Dude’s unambiguously lied about enough things that harping on a very likely misstatement doesn’t do any good.

1 Like