Nassau County GOP to demand George Santos’ resignation

Originally published at: Nassau County GOP to demand George Santos' resignation | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I don’t think Santos will ever resign, however. He is of the Donald Trump / Kari Lake / Kevin De Leon school, where reality denial is a core belief.

I don’t know about this denial thing. I think he knows exactly what the reality is, and doesn’t give a shit one way or the other. He’ll say whatever he thinks it takes to get him through.

16 Likes

When the local machine boys in the back room say he’s toast, he’s toast. Even if he serves out his full term he’s done. The later he waits to resign, the sooner he’ll be sent to Brazil when he loses he re-election bid.

16 Likes

His obvious legal and ethical problems are distracting from the Republican PR machine’s attempt to place Hunter Biden front and center.

17 Likes

i don’t know… do habitual liars even realize when they are lying anymore?

8 Likes

If you start kicking out one liar, where do you stop? Especially with the current GOP…

Getting my popcorn ready for this one.

7 Likes

I’m sorry, but what line exactly was crossed, here?

2 Likes

Good thing the new GOP leadership decided to hamstring the Congressional Ethics Office.

SHAPIRO: So let’s talk about these changes because House Republicans have not entirely ended OCE, but they have changed how the office will work, making it harder to hire new staff, making it impossible to replace people who leave in the next couple of years, also imposing term limits on members of the board. What impact do you expect this package of changes to have?

SKAGGS: Well, if they are implemented by the terms that are included in the rules package that was adopted yesterday in the House, they will be terribly destructive of the ability of OCE to do its job. One has to assume that that was the intention.

11 Likes

Just today he assured us he would not resign (how could he give up all the grift and dark money?). He will undoubtedly repeat this assurance right up until the day he resigns.

15 Likes

With the campaign finance fraud.
Where did his $700,000 loan to his campaign come from?

9 Likes

I believe he was assigned to the committee who will investigate it.

I’m sure they’ll find an answer.

8 Likes

That comes perilously close to Poe’s Law there.

6 Likes

Why would he resign? He has already shown that he has no scruples. What’s he have to gain by resigning?

5 Likes

Probably when his lies started cannibalizing financial support from fellow Republicans.

A legal podcast I listen to noted that Santos has a perverse incentive to stay in office if he’s likely to face criminal charges because then he can offer his resignation as a bargaining chip with prosecutors. If he’s already stepped down then that’s one less thing he can give up in any attempt to stay out of prison.

22 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe they’ll give him five months like they did Trump’s financial officer. I had figured he might resign so he could flee the country.

6 Likes

He’s also harder to arrest, I think. When Congress is in session, anyway.

5 Likes

Harder from a political/PR standpoint, maybe. Possibly easier from a logistical standpoint since the cops know exactly where to find him. He would hardly be the first sitting member of congress to wear handcuffs.

12 Likes

That phrase in the constitution only applies to civil arrests, which aren’t really commonplace in the US anymore.

5 Likes

Meanwhile McCarthy is giving him committee assignments. Yeah.

And now, somewhat ironically, having pretended to have McCarthy’s support to get into office, having now gotten there, Santos has McCarthy over a barrel, so he’s forced to actually support him…

4 Likes

A new front has opened up against Biden-- classified documents from his time as vice president.

probably bullshit, but might be interesting to see how the Repulicans mix the two issues.

1 Like