George Santos will likely spend 1.5 to 3 years in prison, says lawyer

Originally published at: George Santos will likely spend 1.5 to 3 years in prison, says lawyer | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Well, Santos is a prolific liar. I’m not sure I would call him great at it. It’s not like he’s woven some plausible tapestry nobody will ever see through.

26 Likes

How is Kevin McCarthy going to try to arrange for Santos to cast his votes in the House from prison?

16 Likes

know what really grinds my gears? when news sources (looking at you Alex Wagner tonight) insist on calling george anthony devolder… santos a “serial fabulist”.

fabulist (n.) 1590s, “inventor or writer of fables,” from French fabuliste, from Latin fabula “story, tale” (see fable (n.)). The earlier word in English was fabler (late 14c.); the Latin term was fabulator.

fables (should) have some intention to amuse, if not educate, via an extended story-line, and/or talking frogs, this is not what a dirty stinking conman pathological liar does. there. got that off my chest. thankyouverymuch. as you were.

21 Likes

That’s the etymology of the term, yes. Every dictionary I can find lists “liar” as a standard definition though, with no distinction that said lies are amusing.

7 Likes

It’s not wrong, but it’s definitely still a way to sugarcoat the truth, like the years of calling Trump’s statements “controversial” or “racially charged” rather than “racist”.

15 Likes

If he were really great we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

8 Likes

I remember the exact day the Washington Post finally used the word “lie” when talking about trump (they were the first major non-oped, iirc)

I was after the 2016 election, of course.

12 Likes

3 years for a string of serious offenses doesn’t seem to be an appropriate punishment

7 Likes

7 Likes

There’s a pretty good chance they will offer him no time if he resigns from congress.

2 Likes

Did he steal from rich white people? Bc I think that’s the only way that financial crimes get punished in America.

7 Likes

He totally misunderstood the notion about “repeating big lies”, and went with willy-nilly scattering out many and various smaller ones. No focus.

5 Likes

Is he also lying to himself about his future, or does he realize that his days of basking in GOP protection are numbered?

While in prison, he can “bask” in the GOP’s declarations of his worthiness for a high office unfairly denied to him by Dems and by the corrupt system which (by extension) must be considered as Georgia and New York and the DOJ work on Trump. They can’t protect Trump without protecting Santos (in jail or not).

5 Likes

The republican party will hold his seat for him until he gets out, right?

Yes. He did.

2 Likes

I don’t know how professional it is for a BA/JD who has no experience in criminal law and no direct knowledge of this case or its defendant to be boldly stamping the “I’m a lawyer and this is how much time he’ll do” on a defendant, any defendant.

3 Likes

Well, it is a start.

6 Likes

Got to love that 1626 cite.

Alas, nothing from the 21st century. No mention of Stephen Glass, either.

3 Likes

The American Dream turning into a nightmare…