Georgia Senator, asked about voter suppression, mugs constituent for his phone

Did he give it back to him? I didn’t see that in the video. I was thinking it was the guys’ friend continuing to video.

2 Likes

Uncomfortable truth : conservatives understand only greed and violence. To them, wealth is their lifeforce and if they don’t have all of it they feel physically under attack.

To put it mildly, they are not delusional, misinformed, or ignorant. They are assholes. We will never convince conservatives at large to share. Individual ones, maybe, but it is not worth dropping the good fight in hopes of converting a handful - the harms conservatives cause are a real and present danger.

2 Likes

Goodness golly guys, enough with the word-wrangling plz

9 Likes

What would have happened had the protestor mugged the senator ?

7 Likes

Blogs aren’t courts of law. If we blog about someone being demolished at an annual chess tournament or how a pundit gave another a smackdown on national tv, we assume our readership will make intelligent inferences about what happened.

Dude took his phone in response to being asked a question. Whether or not it was a crime matters a whole lot to the individuals involved I’m sure, but the intent of the senator is the same, and presumably, one cares a hell of a lot more about the fact that the senator tried to silence a critic by removing his recording device, than we do about the nuances of the legal system.

If the Senator is charged with a crime, then by all means, armchair lawyer away. Otherwise, it’s just derailing for derailing’s sake, when the outcome of the discussion matters not one whit in terms of the Senator’s character, or, IMHO, how he should be judged.

14 Likes

The mistake is attempting to tell other people that they aren’t telling the truth when they call it a mugging. That’s not a stand on principle, that’s outrage at people choosing to use words in a manner you don’t care for… well I suppose your principles can be based on semantic navel gazing but I wouldn’t know.
No, of course I don’t give a rats ass about your personal principles and therein lies the problem. When people operate with definitions for words not approved by you, you will respond that this violates your personal principles as if that should matter to anyone at all. The fact is that the word use was correct and acceptable for most readers. You simply have chosen to throw a fit because there are people in the world who don’t think like you think.

7 Likes

The fact is that the word use was correct and acceptable for most readers.

Sure is nice to be able to define what’s correct and acceptable for most readers. I guess I can’t argue with someone who has that authority, so I’ll bow out here.

It really is. You too can do the same by assuming good faith and intelligence in the reader until shown otherwise. Intelligent people can read context clues and are not so concerned with whether or not the use fits definition #1.

6 Likes

That ought to be the on the header of the whole friggin’ internet.

9 Likes

I think you might have just leveled up.

You might have become this kind of lawyer!

3 Likes

Purdue has shown poor impulse control with this one. That makes him qualified as a
GOP Presidential candidate, but I wouldn’t want him exposed to any red phones.

The phone’s owner was not one of his onetime Dollar General employees, and locking up the phone until end of shift was not an option.

The phone owner deserves a public apology.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.