Georgia State Senator threatens civil war unless charges are dismissed against Trump

75% of Americans 18-25 are unfit for military service. I imagine the percentage goes up for older MAGA who seem to want an armed confrontation with our armed forces who far outgun them.
rapidfire

6 Likes

So, he’s threatening the illegal use of force involving a firearm to coerce a person or persons to perform an action, which is practically the definition of assault (a threat is assault, actually touching someone is battery, roughly speaking). Under Georgia law, though IANAL, it looks that that can rise to the level of felony, which would remove his right to own said firearm if convicted. Maybe get a Kickstarter to find a local lawyer in Georgia on it to start the process, anyone?
(Yeah, just a fantasy, no chance in hell of it actually working. I can dream.)

10 Likes

Mr. Fourteenth Amendment Section III must be feeling like a beat-up mister potatohead right about now.

9 Likes

From the proxies on up, they are all cowards, and that for being pathologically fearful of people who have no bearing on their existence and on lawful measures fashioned to protect their basic human rights.

8 Likes

Yeah, Keith Olbermann brought up this guy on a recent podcast. DO NOT WANT.

5 Likes

No. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t suck.

4 Likes

And yet again, liberals just assume the police and military will be on our side. No matter how many articles get posted about white nationalists and Christian dominionists infiltrating those same institutions.

Go down to the local VFW and see how many Trump stickers you see in the parking lot. I’m sure the cops who opened fire on BLM protests after they killed a black man in custody will totally take our side against the guys in the klan masks and thin blue line shirts. Jesus Christ.

4 Likes

They’ve already proven that the military is “on our side” or at least on the side of the constitution. There is a white supremacist problem, but it tends to be in the lower ranks and tends to be dealt with seriously by the guys at the top. If the military was going to throw in with the fascists, they would have done that January 6th, but they did not.

The police are generally speaking more concerning, at least on the local and state level. That’s who you really have to worry about.

10 Likes

And thank goodness for that. On the other hand the German military and police forces didn’t back the Beer Hall Putsch either, so past allegiances are not a guarantee of future behavior.

4 Likes

From what I understand, the leadership takes it’s non-political, constitutional role very seriously. It was why Trump had such issues getting them under his thumb. He tried his hardest to get a guy in there that would help him out when the time came, but it did not work thanks to the constitutional commitment. There is certainly a problem in the armed forces, but I think anyone joining the movement to overthrow the government would end up in the brig.

But yeah… of course, things could change. But that would necessitate an insurrection from inside or a complete removal of the bureaucratic class at the top. It’s not impossible of course, but in the current environment, it’s not very likely. Michael Flynn was an outlier, I think.

10 Likes

I agree as far as overthrowing the military by force from without. A bunch of cosplayers and angry grunts are not going to win in a standoff against the military proper. But I could see a fascist movement taking more and more power from within the government and a disconcerting number of higher-ups going along with it so long as they can still claim to be serving the United States.

4 Likes

Yeah, not even with wide support from local law enforcement. The US military just has overwhelming force…

Indeed. This is why dealing with Trump and his backers already in government is so critical. That’s what will ensure this constitutional firewall continues to keep functioning. What’s happening right now is the critical moment.

11 Likes

I mean, that is kinda the definitive difference between a revolution and a coup, isn’t it?

If we’re going to look at say Jan 6 as a precedent, I’d direct your attention to the National Guard presence that wasn’t there. We fantasize about Y’all Qaida facing off against a few dozen marines, but I worry more about one sympathetic field commander issuing a stand down order.

4 Likes

Because Trump did not call them out, and in fact refused to do so when asked. When Pence DID call them out, they did not side with the insurrectionists.

That is a possibility, but right now that does not seem to be the case. The leadership of the US military takes their commitment to the constitution seriously. Yes, there are white supremacist and Christian nationalists in the armed forces, but they do not seem to have any kind of foothold in the places of power that matter.

If you have some evidence to the contrary, then feel free to post that.

8 Likes

Um…who is the “we” you are referring to? I would greatly prefer law enforcement, such as FBI, do their jobs so we don’t get to that point. I’m not in favor of creating martyrs for the portion of the US population currently detached from reality.

9 Likes

This is my true worry. The military, not so much. But on a local, day-to-day lavel, the cops are a much larger factor.

5 Likes

What kind of holster does he keep his rifle in?

4 Likes

https://www.outfitterssupply.com/Rifle-amp-Bow-Scabbards/products/2/

You know, just like John Wayne.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.