Get your kids Walmart's Israeli Soldier Costume for the classiest Halloween ever

Yes, please tell us how invading foreigns lands was so very helpful.

1 Like

Don’t you have a feather to put in your cap?

I’m not sure what you’re implying here?

Ok, my first post is a tinge pompous but relevant to the author’s post, and my second post directed towards your group, as you did mention please tell “us” implying you are a spokeswoman of some sort, is in reference to Native American Indians and their loss of land as a result of European colonization that I too benefit from, and I assume you and some of your party as well. So for you to claim “Yes, please tell us how invading foreigns lands was so very helpful.” is something of a double standard. My point is that a centralized clash between peoples of the Three-Age system was inevitable as the worlds geography became known, and now in this 4th information age, people need to exercise more compassion towards one another or history is only bound to repeat itself.

I was talking about the people on the board here, which @Israel_B was presumable addressing. I don’t claim to speak for Americans, or Europeans, or any other group. I was pointing out how the Israel right (and American Christian pro-Zionist right) use the specific terms he brought up. I said nothing about the crusades.

Did I say that the genocide of the Native Americans wasn’t important? So I can only address what you deem matters? Should we just ignore the brutalization of some people because others were brutalized? How is the reconfiguring of the middle east to suit western Europe and the US not part of European colonization?

I was addressing the specific statements made about specific historical events that are of recent vintage - which @Israel_B disagreed with, as is his right to do so. Why did you post a picture of a European crusader in a conversation about the politics of Israel? Again, crusaders are often valorized in the west despite being an invading force.

1 Like

I posted a picture of a kid in a costume along with a quip of ancient vintage. You’re the one who drank the vinegar.

1 Like

To what end did you post it?

1 Like

1 Like

whatever

2 Likes

Sorry I couldn’t resist. Anyway I thought you raised some valid points in your arguments.

1 Like

Okay. Have a nice day.

3 Likes

I never said that or implied that. I’ve suggested that you should do some research and that assumes that you are smart enough to do so.

I’ve also pointed out, perhaps not as clearly as I should have, that there are religious views on this matter and secular views on this matter. I did clearly say I wasn’t talking about State policy. In any case there are already between 1 and 2 million Arab Israelis with their own members of the Knesset and Arabic is an official language of the State so I’m not sure why you need to use that loaded word there. There are various ideas amongst both secular and religious Israelis which include citizenship options for Arabs living in Judea & Samaria. Again, go look it up, don’t just take my word for it.

As for the loaded word you use, political/religious Kahanism hasn’t been a thing in ages and as a political party/program it is currently illegal in the State of Israel. Then again most people who complain about Rabbi Mier Kahane after his death didn’t ever bother to read what he wrote or listen to recordings of his speeches.

Again, go do your research, referring to the land of Judea & Samaria is not confined to the Israeli right. Your use of loaded terms and half truths which distort facts are not helpful to the discussion.

Okay, clearly we’re making no headway here.

[ETA] And to be clear, the OP was Wal-Mart having an IDF uniform in their stores. I’m not really how that should invoke a religious view of Israel and the occupation. Or how you can disconnect the religious view from the secular one in Israel.

2 Likes

cultural dissonance

What, people actually put toy soldiers in schools? What kind of crazy militarists are they?

I went to a toy-soldier-free Austrian school in the 80s. Toy soldiers don’t belong in schools.

1 Like

Presumably because it’s also a thread about kid’s soldier costumes available at Walmart, and the poster was making a joke instead of speaking to the bigger issues regarding the Israeli/Palestinian conflict (which others of us are guilty of doing earlier in the thread, as well).

1 Like

Maybe just a joking reference to a different costume that you might find in stores? Another non-muslim army fighting in the same area? Maybe objectionable as a costume for the same reasons, or maybe not as much, because it’s too long ago?

Are they?? Never heard of them as the good guys in my entire life.

If you can’t understand the difference between secular and religious zionism (much less what “occupation” means in English or Arabic) I’m not sure you should be backing a dog in this fight. Heres a super condensed version:

• Religious Zionism The Torah commands that Jews dwell in the land of Israel (not related to the State, often seen in the Hebrew term Eretz Yisrael or similar spellings of second word). This has nothing to do with who governs the land as it is the job of the Messiah to expel occupying powers and establish Torah law there.
  • Secular Zionism is the political impetuous for Jews to return to their homeland and establish a nation state as a homeland for the Jewish people. This has nothing to do with Torah law or Judaism of any flavor. Go back to Theodore Hertzl, considered a/the father of secular/political Zionism and you will find no reference to religion whatsoever.

This is of course a spectrum, there are individuals who tack in between the two or who have views which spread the spectrum depending on various issues. There are various religious zionists who object to the State itself but still live in the land. It isn’t a binary.

Note also that the terms “Jews” & “Jewish people” are not ethnic terms in any sense. There are people who are Jews by Torah law of every ethnicity/skin color and that includes Arab Jews as well as Indian Jews, Ethiopian Jews, Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Kaifeng (China), as well as converts of every color.

(for bonus points can you give me the same condensed level of the four classes of thought on the Arab side in regards to this?)

As to how this post relates to the costume in question, your ignorance (simply meaning lack of knowledge, not a slight) on this matter may be typical of those who were “outraged” about the costume in general. Most people who get vocal on the topic don’t actually know much about the subject, probably don’t really care much about the Arabs in question here, don’t know anything about other unsettled borders, etc. It just so happens that this particular conflict is honey for flies.

Would a Ottoman Janissary count here or would it have to be a later period Ottoman officer? How about a British Mandate period soldier? :smile:

Better yet a pre-Islam Babylonian, Persian, Assyrian, Roman, Egyptian, etc. soldier?

:wink:

4 Likes

The image I mentioned was basically a field of white with a small schoolhouse to one side and a green, kneeling soldier figure clearly meant to invoke the classic American plastic toy soldier: