Ghanaian parliament erupts into giggles as MPs learn about towns called "Vagina is Wise," "Penis is a Fool" and "Testicles are Sad"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/27/etwe-nim-nyansa.html

5 Likes

Wow, these English translations seem to be a vas deferens from their historical names.

22 Likes

For more on this cultural practice, see my master’s thesis, “Feminist Villages of Ghana”.

[scuttles away]

6 Likes

You have to give it to the guy who had the floor. He said them all with about as much dignity as anyone could muster.

6 Likes

My favorite “Little Johnny” joke…

The class is learning about human reproduction, and Little Johnny is confused. He raises his hand, and the teacher sighs and calls on him.
“Yes, Little Johnny?”
“Teacher - I don’t get it. Aren’t the testes and the prostate the same thing?”
“No, Johnny. There’s a vas deferens between them.”

14 Likes
10 Likes

15 Likes

I like the statesmanlike “and indeed that is so!” at the end.

8 Likes

*** Shua ye Morbor - “Testicles are Sad”.**

Oh, I’ve heard of that place…

6 Likes

In a sense, I’ve lived there most of my life.

15 Likes

Aaaand here’s the West African Pidgin version of the story from the BBC’s West African Pidgin service:

4 Likes

Obligatory:

7 Likes

anigif_enhanced-14773-1427881513-3

4 Likes

This has nothing to do with this discussion - but it always makes me laugh.

cure_for_tourettes_cunt

13 Likes

I didn’t realize so much of Ghana was founded by 13 year old. :wink:

5 Likes
6 Likes

I’d chuckle along with these jovial Ghanaians if the lot of them weren’t such a bunch of homophobic twits who would like to kill queers for Christ. Somehow it kind of tarnishes their laughable good nature. While I know that “the Family” a good usa Christian group has pushed it, they still bought it, so fuck them. How about they all go to Parliament eats Poop and retire.

5 Likes

yeah sorry, not laughing, it’s literally illegal to be LGBT in Ghana and of course that means legal discrimination and plenty of murders - that parliament needs to get busy repeating laws against human rights

1 Like

Yeah, that was my first thought. “They discovered Newfoundland?”

1 Like

One little letter can do so much.