Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer drops

There’s a Ghostbusters 2? Was it any good?

/s

1 Like

NO. (And also no)

2 Likes

Here’s a different trailer…

4 Likes

Maybe, but I feel that the larger problem in modern media is the desperate attempts to get folks like me and older to fill theater seats and buy DVDs. I don’t want a retread of Ghostbusters when I have the first film already (and yes I’m evil I liked the second one too). I don’t feel that this is healthy to be overdosing on nostalgia which I think drowns out new ideas and new stories. So that’s just my two cents and minor derailment of an otherwise good trailer to be honest. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

OK, let me qualify my previous statement: sequels bore the hell out of me. Dont even get me started on reboots. We have literally millions of IP that could become great movies and Hollywood is stuck in safe reboot hell.

But if we have to do sequels, I’d rather have a new generation exploring and expanding the mythology of the original with a fresh take than just a rehash of the old stuff packaged for the new generation. This one even has precedent with “Extreme Ghostbusters” when Egon got a team of students to be new ghostbusters, so I’m willing to give it a go.

4 Likes

In a world where Stranger Things never happened this seems like a slick way for Hollywood to plunder it’s past for more cash. Honestly though this just doesn’t seem necessary at all.

1 Like

So… it’s Ghostbusters with kids? Someone was like “Make Stranger Things with Ghostbusters!”

Still - it looks good…

I had the idea of Ghost Egon in a previous thread:

Ray: “Egon, you sound different.”

Egon: “I’m dead, Ray. Even having the strength to materialize as both a level 4 visual and a level 3 audible apparition is a monumental achievement.”

Peter: “Well, that sure sounds like Egon.”

(Source)

5 Likes

They’ve done male Ghostbusters, then female, now kids.
Call me when they do it with dogs or something.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Well there you go, no need then! :joy:

4 Likes

I’m even more evil; I actually like and own all 3 Ghostbusters movies.

I’ll still see this one at some point, though; just on the strength of watching Egon’s granddaughter bust some ghosts.

5 Likes

There’s no rule that says dogs can’t be Ghostbusters. :wink:

I think this looks interesting. I enjoyed the original films as a kid (never got around to watching the 2016 one) but wouldn’t call myself a devotee of the franchise, so it’s not like I was clamoring for another movie. That said, I appreciate the angle they’re taking here. With this much distance from the first two, moving forward in time to keep it contemporary seems like the best approach. Plus, Egon was always my favorite character, so seeing the story continue from his grandkids’ perspective is really cool to me.

4 Likes

Does Disney have a hand in this? Could have a cool cameo!

2 Likes

The real question is why there hasn’t been a musical yet. (An officially-licensed musical, that is – I can’t imagine there haven’t been any amateur knockoffs in all these years.)

If you dug the original movie(s), I recommend checking out the Ghostbusters video game, which came out in 2009 but is now being remastered for PS4. It’s essentially a third Ghostbusters movie, with the original cast, and I’d say it’s better written and funnier (and definitely more fun) than Ghostbusters 2.

5 Likes

It also had Ramis and Aykroyd as writers, had much of the original cast do voiceovers, and some of the script was based on the scuttled Ghostbusters 3 script. It’s quite good.

3 Likes

But Stranger Things already has Ghostbusters.

stranger-things

Which brings up an interesting thought experiment: if you’d already lived through some creepy afterlife-adjacent multidimensional ESP adventure with your friends would watching Ghostbusters seem like wild fantasy or just a completely plausible scenario to base a movie on? It would be kind of like watching the Avengers reading Justice League comics.

6 Likes

Murray, Ackroyd, Hudson, Weaver and Potts are all appearing, I believe. I am pretty sure that’s Venckman in some of the voiceover.

1 Like

Yes, Yes, 1000 times YES!

Is that on Disney Plus? Asking for a very good boy …