Ghostbusters vs masculinity's downranking campaign against "women's" movies and TV

Its time to stop listening to review aggregators and crowd sourced reviews, it’s all gamed anyway. Critics have lost credibility as of late, but now we know we can’t trust any online ranking system to be free of gaming by people with an agenda.

I understand why people would want to rely on a simple score from Rotten Tomatoes to decide if they’re going to buy an expensive movie ticket

But if all people are looking is at the score and not the thought process, the reasons for that score, the review itself, then scores become meaningless. As they have now.
nothing substitutes a review from a critic you trust, (yes, this is another flickfilosopher plug)

Only slightly off topic, I thought this was an awesome post in the comment section from that review:

The way I put it in Fandom and Male Privilege many years ago, was:
A situation that is perfectly equal between men and women is perceived as being biased in favor of women.

And
if you don’t believe me, you’ve never been a married woman who kept her
family name. I have had students hold that up as proof of my “sexism.”
My own brother told me that he could never marry a woman who kept her
name because “everyone would know who ruled that relationship.” Perfect equality - my husband keeps his name and I keep mine – is held as a statement of superiority on my part.

13 Likes