Giant green butt plug looks suspiciously like a christmas tree

ouch…

1 Like

Ceci n’est pas une butt-plug

10 Likes

Seriously? I don’t celebrate Christmas either and I never return wishes of Merry Christmas (I just say “okay thanks”) but I’ve never in 20+ years had anyone confront me about it.

getting…closer…

1 Like

I suspect Lady Liberty just left it behind when she crossed the Atlantic.

10 Likes

This to me was the point when I realised it really is just one big club of giant phoneys.
-Artist laughs his head off at the RA-

1 Like

It’s not phony, it is just that art is in the eye/butt of the beholder.

1 Like

I think Jason is a bit confused about the artist as well :smile:
(Shakes head)

1 Like

I read the BBC article. I enjoyed how they danced around how undignified people thought it was - without referring to it as a butt plug.

Not only did I read that the first time, so did @jlw…sorry Jason, you may expunge your mistakes down the BB memory hole, but RSS never forgets…

4 Likes

The same kind of art in Rotterdam NL

1 Like

It gets worse – sometimes they just slather oil and minerals onto fabric. And don’t get me started on “photographers” – click, click, click!

3 Likes

It’s a looking a little less inflated, right now…

…maybe…a little more deflated?

I suspect Lady Liberty just left it behind when she crossed the Atlantic.

You, Sir/Madame, have just won the Internet today.

golf clap

3 Likes

odeargodherecomesthesantorumflood

2 Likes

It goes back to when we were more of an industrial society, probably. If your spot on the assembly line is empty on Diwali or Yom Kippur, it doesn’t do any good to make up for it by coming in by yourself on Christmas.

(I suspect most places these days have more nimble human resource management that’s able to deal with this issue, but there are still plenty of lower-skilled jobs where religious beliefs be damned, you’re working that holiday or you’re fired.)

Medical field. Hardly “lower skill”, though.

They try to rotate shifts and make as many people happy as they can, but if it’s your turn to work and no-one wants to trade shifts, tough shit, deal with it. Personally, I feel that any god who would rather have you attend a ceremony than stop people from snuffing it isn’t worth all that much, but what do I know.

So anyway, unless all you inconsiderate bastards out there can agree not to get sick, working when you’d prefer not to goes with the turf. :wink:

1 Like

I still say the emperor has no clothes.

If you’d like to learn more about art, you can read “Power of Art” by Simon Schama or “Art as Therapy” by Alain de Botton. But if you truly enjoys large objects, you should check out Kurt Perschke’s RedBall Project, Florentijn Hofman Giant Rubber Duck or Giant Rabbit, or Macy’s Thanksgiving parade.

Also, you may want to look up “false equivalence”.

No, those aren’t really the same. Painting and photography are expressions of skill; even if the click of the shutter is over in an instant, knowing how to recognize an opportunity for a great shot and just when to press the button is very much a matter of skill. Designing an interesting piece is art even if you leave the assembly gruntwork to a build crew, as is usually done with large pieces like this; alternately, assembling even a simple piece by hand is at the very least an expression of craft, which I feel counts as art, and McCarthy may actually have done that for all I know.

But simply whipping off a large-scale blueprint of a simple, dull object and instructing someone else to build it…well, I would probably still call it art, because I have a very broad view of what constitutes “art.” But I wouldn’t call it very good or interesting art.

“Mon Dieu, quel trou du cul !” (the “L” of cul is silent)