Giuliani says even if Trump murdered Comey he can't be indicted

2 Likes

This is the next response to everyone saying that Trump hasn’t broken the law. If he hasn’t, then the law is itself broken and the system is corrupt. If you want to play Calvinball with the rules of society, be careful what rules will be imposed against you after you’re done eating your orange slices.

17 Likes

Fuck that noise.

16 Likes

It is showmanship for the base.

Long as the base isn’t calling their reps to impeach, they can keep the Trump train rolling.

4 Likes

Actually, come January 21st, I wonder if that would change even if the GOP retains control. If Trump gets impeached and removed from office before then, Pence would serve for more than half of Trump’s term and so would only be eligible to run for one of his own due to the 22nd Amendment. Republicans may be thinking to deal with two years and one day of Trump followed by ten years minus a day of Pence (assuming he runs for and wins two terms.)

4 Likes

Trump is not going to be impeached.

8 Likes

The President of the United States has plenary power to pardon anyone – who commits a federal crime. If he were to murder someone in any state of the union, he’d be subject to state murder charges. He’s probably good in DC, since DC’s powers are entirely derivative of its existence as a federal district.

11 Likes

And folks wonder why I own guns.

1 Like

and he apologized to the Penguin the VP afterwards!

3 Likes

How many of those started a war in their first 500 days?

Why do I hear Stallone roaring “I am the law!”

3 Likes

Not necessarily.

For some thoughts, see this thread:

https://twitter.com/eiwbm_cat/status/1001628296604471298?s=21

…which continues here:

https://twitter.com/eiwbm_cat/status/1001636190724984834?s=21

Yes, the state will respond to that with police violence and persecution. But if you scale it up enough, eventually they run out of cops. They don’t have millions of them.

https://twitter.com/emilygorcenski/status/1001089535806144513?s=21

Regarding the military…white supremacists are not in the majority, but they are present in significant numbers. Many troops are fairly apolitical, some are lefties, but there is a general conservative bias in the ranks.

As for the senior officer corps…Mattis, McMaster, Kelly, etc. They aren’t all as bad as that lot, but they aren’t all good either.

Probably the best you could hope for would be that the military stays neutral and sits it out.

6 Likes

Maybe the administration is pulling a Weekend at Bernie’s to buy themselves time to come up with a plausible explanation for her disappearance.

4 Likes

No idea.

I’d expect that all of them bombed and/or invaded a few places. Maybe a few declared war while doing so.

It’s not that I want this to happen.
It’s just that it’s most likely going to happen.

1 Like

we could probably do it too with focused protest.

you just need your fellow americans to say - i cant go to the store today because the roads are blocked… and that’s okay.

everybody is still in the mode that this too will pass. yes, a bunch of immigrants and some citizens with brown skin are getting locked up. but that too will pass. everyone hopes.

it’s not clear when too little is too late. folks just aren’t feeling it yet. everyone is assuming nothing’s actually broken.

the hard part i think is that there are broken things. only dt’s not responsible. the conservatives are. the democats who are continually trying to appeal to red states are.

dt’s making it worse. but his removal alone doesn’t fix things.

3 Likes

FUCK THAT.

Quit stating it as fucking foregone conclusion; you’re not psychic, and that defeatist shit isn’t helping anyone.

15 Likes

i’d wonder how well those guns would do against bombers at 30,000 ft and drones which launch missiles in the dead of night.

the military remains a pretty diverse population. rue the day when that’s not so. it’s social ties and perceived norms that are currently keeping us safe. not your guns. not the second amendment.

it’d be great if it were otherwise. it may have been true a hundred years ago. it’s simply not true today.

10 Likes

Yup.

Small arms are useless against the military. They may have some temporary deterrent effect against small-scale fascist violence, though.

Y’all ain’t gonna win if it goes hot. At best, you turn New York into Fallujah.

But there are options besides civil war. Gandhi, MLK, Argentina; the lessons are there to draw from.

15 Likes

Trump has. Well, her ghost at a window, at least.

That would be unsettling enough, but when even her twitter account is sending out messages reassuring everyone that she’s fine, it’s downright alarming when that message was clearly written by Donnie. (I mean, it doesn’t remotely sound like her or her staff, and uses three different phrases that Donnie repeats all the time. Presumably he made some effort to write it in her voice, but that probably required something he doesn’t possess - a basic level of empathy or even theory of mind…)

13 Likes