Glenn Beck's "decency" doesn't extend to answering questions about why he was such an asshole

The human ego is a funny thing, sometimes it’s hard to admit you’re wrong, and face it: anyone whose job description is talking all day about their own opinion and beliefs while millions hang on their every word, well. . . they’re gonna have a particularly had time admitting when they are wrong.

I have no idea if Beck is really searching his soul here, or if he’s a huckster and this is just the next phase of his long con. But that was always the question, did he actually believe what he said or was it an act? Apparently we still don’t know.

3 Likes

Holy shit - that’s like spending years doing nothing but making slur-filled death threats at someone and then apologizing for not being “more loving.” it’s not quite, “I’m sorry you made me hit you,” but almost.

Reading about his supposed redemption immediately followed by seeing that, I thought, “So Beck has decided there’s money to be made in being less of an assho… oh, never mind.

On some level, though, it’s quite an accomplishment, at least.

I think one thing is clear - he believes in being a self-serving asshole. I think it’s a core value for him, and one that isn’t likely to change.

9 Likes

If we’re going to get back to a place of, you know, not actively supporting fascism, then yes, millions of people will need to be absolved of evil things they’ve supported. Conversations like this will have to play out millions of times, and be accepted with grace instead of recriminations.

BUT

How about we do a first-in-last-out type of system? So, you know, when all the people Glenn Beck brainwashed have returned to the fold of reality-based decency, then we can talk about whether Beck himself is excusable? Because right now, the authoritarian horde he helped create is still voting to burn America to the ground, and we don’t even know that they’ve failed. You don’t forgive the person who shelled your village before the shells have even landed.

7 Likes

I’m not sure i believe Glenn Beck’s current stance, it may be temporary until someone else comes along that he can gather a pitch fork wielding mob against. Should he actually achieve some positive personal growth then i’d be happy to pay attention, but i’m not going to hold my breath over him.

2 Likes

Absolutely, without a single shred of doubt in my mind: no, he did not believe what he said. Just like Limbaugh, Coulter, Hannity, O’Reilly, Drudge, Breitbart, etc, etc. etc. Their BS is way too craftily calculated and agenda-driven to be unintentional.

1 Like

The Phantom Menace is of course awful… While it has many flaws, a standout is the character Jar Jar Binks who is almost universally hated, but I can’t help but feel that Glenn Beck is a character discarded by Lucas as being too unlikable.

8 Likes

Welcome to the site! Not like you’ll reply, but it doesn’t sound like this is the first time you’ve given Beck the benefit of the doubt. Email your boss at the PR agency and tell them people aren’t buying it.

2 Likes

11 Likes

I think it’s lovely that he has a new marketing plan.

7 Likes

I, for one, welcome Beck with open arms. He sounds like he’s being more rational and that’s a good thing.

Everybody here seems determined to keep him down and it’s puzzling.

1 Like

I’m not convinced yet but I hope the change is real. It would make for a really nice “Grinch heart growing three sizes” or “Vader throwing the Emperor down the ventilation shaft” kind of moment.

9 Likes

I can only speak for myself, but he’s made a very lucrative living shilling lies, fear and anger. So this change of heart does little to change how i feel about him, especially since it’s such a recent development and hasn’t really done anything to redeem himself.
Would i reject anything he has to say in the future? It solely depends on him, i’m more than happy to have my mind changed.

3 Likes

Anything less than an abrupt 180-degree about-face and public self-criticism of past behavior is unacceptable.

We should not tolerate gradual change!

#This is the year zero

#NOTHING HAS COME BEFORE

#NOTHING WILL COME AGAIN

5 Likes

Love me some Tom Ashbrook, that’s a great show I try not to miss.

1 Like

It had a big impact on me. But then, I forgive others very easily. I’ve benefited tremendously when others forgive me so it feels like if I were to hold a grudge, I’d be a big, fat hypocrite.

2 Likes

I had thought that you welcomed him long ago.
Either way, let nothing I’ve said be misconstrued as condemning your welcoming Glenn to your bosom.

3 Likes

When you can fake sincerity- that’s when the rubes really buy it.

Not saying change can’t happen. Just that I’m cautious when it appears to coincide with someone’s paycheck drying up for taking the opposing side.

Conveinance is convenient.

3 Likes

IMHO, yet another Beck re-branding.

He knows that the crazies have gone so far to the right that the PTB are concerned, so he will be the moderating voice of conservatism that brings it back to a comfortable and sustainable level (of unnoticeable exploitation).

5 Likes

You know, I understand where you’re coming from, but here’s the thing: refusing to forgive things is how people get to this place.

He’s apologized for his role in it repeatedly. I don’t know what epiphany he reached, I’m mostly glad he reached it.

On the other hand, the epiphany means that his former followers really don’t give a shit about what he has to say…

(as seen on Breitbart)

I’d have to hear him say it while looking him in the face (youtube would suffice). Every time I’ve seen him, he struck me as a dishonest faker. I don’t see how his audience didn’t see through him.

If I get the gut feeling he’s still a dishonest faker when I see his new decency, I won’t have any patience for the “reform.” I do hope the reform is real for his own good. It’s not healthy (emotionally, spiritually, what have you) to live the way he was.

Not in his defense exactly … paradigm shifts take time and work. Even years later, I’ll have some ugly thought someone hammered into me as a child that crop up again and again. I’ll have some patience if I know he’s actually trying. Otherwise … it’s just another Glenn Beck show and dance.

1 Like