God of Death deployed to enforce railway laws in India

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/12/god-of-death-deployed-to-enfor.html

5 Likes

Police department budget item: 1 God of Death costume

23 Likes

Does anyone know if Yamraj is a matter of common knowledge among even non-Hindus and the indifferently pious, something along the lines of the grim reaper; or is this as “eh, overt sectarianism is fine and/or a feature!” as it sounds?

2 Likes

Based on his name shouldn’t he be doing the opposite of what we see here.

10 Likes

The other Gods will be jealous.

@fuzzyfungus Does anyone know?

In a word, Yes, and also No. I hope I have enlightened you.

6 Likes

Don’t let BART see this and get some ideas!

10 Likes

The Bharatiya Janata Party is overtly sectarian.

4 Likes

Based on recent news stories, instead of the “God of Death” BART would use the “Earl of Sandwich”.

17 Likes

Good: Staging a press event to remind people to take rail safety seriously.
Bad: Train doors that open when not in line with the platform, so that people can watch the safety presentation.

4 Likes

In some countries, barriers are rigged up to prevent access to train tracks, but – where pedestrian crossing is expected (and demonstrably and uncontrollably habitual) – pedestrian cross-track pathways are provided, but with chicanes set up (as on motorsports courses) to slow down any foot traffic, giving people time to assess the situation before crossing.

4 Likes

Hate to be pedantic, but what the hell does this mean? What is the average here? It’s either seven or it’s less than seven.

They took the average every day for a year and the highest was seven, of course :wink:

1 Like

He’s tough but fair!

1 Like

training camp for lever pressing
might that go as far as marketing on buses and things

Yamraj is pretty commonly known here in India across religions - hes been part of many safety and ad campaigns over 70+ years.

It’s like I guess in USA grim reaper will be considered common knowledge even for people of other religions. (a typical Hindu will have NO IDEA who or what a grim reaper is).

15 Likes

At the same time, the police campaign has nothing to do with BJP and is probably brainstormed by an independent agency.

2 Likes

“What do we say to the God of Death?”
“Sorry, officer”

7 Likes

Of course we know about Yama, King of Death. If from nowhere else, from Roger Zelazny’s Lord of Light novel. The exchange below is actually taken from the Upanishads, but quoted in the novel.
“Lord Yama, there is doubt concerning a man after he dies. Some say he is, others say he is not. What is the truth of the matter?”
“Ask me another boon, I cannot answer this question.”

3 Likes

This approach reminds me of notices found by archeologists in classical Greek sites. “Please do not litter - it makes the Nymphs angry.”

9 Likes

Commuter trains in India normally operate with the doors open all the time. I don’t know why, but it might be to ensure that passengers in overcrowded trains get fresh air. What’s more, trains are so crowded that if the doors were closed passengers would be pressed against them, and then they would fall out of the train when the doors opened at stations. Of course with the doors open passengers are squeezed together even more tightly, because they have to stand well away from the doors.

3 Likes