God spoke to modern man in 1952 and it's quite a sight

Originally published at: God spoke to modern man in 1952 and it's quite a sight | Boing Boing

6 Likes

This isn’t the Ladybird Book of Revelations?

20 Likes

Godless heathen that I am, I love this stuff. It reminds me very much of The Bible Story by Arthur Maxwell, a ten volume set that I grew up with. There are some really weird and wonderful illustrations in there, I’ll try to post some.

16 Likes

Five Go God-bothering?

Learn to Bigot with Janet and John?

(Equally popular titles from the 1950s, I seem to recall.) :wink:

15 Likes

Is White Jesus there buying insurance or opening a bank account?

15 Likes

I think he’s interviewing for a new job but the management isn’t impressed with his qualifications.

17 Likes

To me, the cover looks like Jesus is getting laid off and is giving some sass back.

19 Likes

Noddy Goes Up in the Rapture?

9 Likes

The Secret Seven and the Mystery of the Transubstantiation.

(Note how most of these are by Enid Blyton. THE pre-eminent 1950s author of books for ‘nice’, white, middle-class, British kids.)

10 Likes

“Laying me off just before my birthday? C’mon Bill. Just you wait, in 6 years, 10 months, 13 days, 2 hours, 29 minutes and 9 seconds I’m going to be standing next to my guy Peter as he says you don’t fit with the culture here, and you definitely haven’t been consistently hitting your KPIs - then we’ll see how you like it.”

18 Likes

Judging by the WTF looks on the co-workers’ faces, that hippie won’t be a good fit for the office culture.

11 Likes

"The indoor jacket, the robe. You ever see someone outside in a robe? They looked like they escaped from the loony bin.

‘Oh, just getting the paper.’
‘Before the monsters do, right?’" - Jim Gaffigan

3 Likes

This is the most pleasant zombie I’ve ever laid eyes on.

11 Likes

They sacked him three days ago.
He keeps coming back.

31 Likes

And Thomas from HR keeps refusing to believe Jesus was actually sacked until he can poke the pink slip

15 Likes

Not only did Jesus blow his first sales gig and Loaves & Fishes Inc. by giving out the product for free, he actually came back to headquarters with more samples than he left with.

18 Likes

Some of these 7DA illustrations were beautifully done. Harry Anderson, a major illustrator in 40s and 50s magazines, was sucked in by the outfit and created many splendidly-painted, thoroughly ridiculous images. Many shared this theme of The Big J counselling “regular” people in contemporary dress. “Regular” meaning mostly male, 99.99% white (some non-white people made it into the background), and always solidly middle-class. Two famous examples are Jesus pointing out the way to a map-reading couple in a convertible car and Jesus sitting with some kids showing off his nail holes.

One funny thing is that the rising dead men always wore a suit and a tie and the rising dead women wore Sunday-best dresses and pert hats. Nary a plumber or auto mechanic among 'em. Maybe on Resurrection Day all men will automatically be given suits so they can enter Heaven without violating the dress code.

18 Likes

It’s how most people were buried in the 1950s in the U.S. Even laborers would be dressed in a new suit purchased for that purpose.

18 Likes

Aka the plot of Red Planet Mars with Peter Graves, same year.

6 Likes

1952?

Mad Men Someone GIF

7 Likes