Godzilla: King of the Monsters looks just silly enough to be fabulous

All my love for the Usagi Yojimbo bit.
But yes. All of my yes.
This looks like dumb fun, as kaiju movies should be.

3 Likes

This!

My kids are sick right now. Neither is happy. Both are watching old Gamera and Godzilla flicks. (Gamera filicks up to 1980 and Godzilla films through the “Shōwa” period and American adaptations through 1975.) When ever they are sick, in particular in the middle of the night, these films along with others of their kind are enjoyable, silly, and have just enough weird to keep their minds working on making the narrative coherent.

When I was kid I had asthma and the medicine we could afford didn’t work well. At the very least they kept me up at night, and that was going to happen when every breath was a struggle, and starting about age 4, I thought about mortality fairly often during these episodes. My mother or father would sit up at night letting me watch Dr. Who on UHF and whatever creature features were on late at night. These films were always a treat. For a time, the worry melted from our faces as we watched these silly postmodern fables.

I don’t believe in making my children love what I do. They will find the things they like on their own. They haven’t seen Star Wars, most Disney flicks, and things that are just overly commercialized.
There is no reason for me to clone myself, but I loved it when my 2yo daughter talked to a woman about being sick and watching monster movies. She then spent five minutes listing off all the monster on Monster Island and what they looked like. The woman looked at me and said, “Does she know Japanese?”, I said no, but some of the films were not dubbed because we got them on Hoopla or Youtube, and I apologize if she offended. She said no, her pronunciation of a few words was spot on! Three years down the road, whenever we run into her, they have a good time talking about the movies from their childhoods.

I find that the fun Kaiju movies have disappeared. PowerRangers is just too simple and irritating. For instance, in most modern films, there would have been some huge bit of exposition about how kaiju communicate. In these old films, if anything is said, it’s some kid saying something to adults like, "duh- they are talking. Also, the lack of mini subs, aliens or the baddies dressed in Mod clothing, and awesome spaceships makes the modern films slightly less enjoyable.

Also seriously, what has been up with the past Godzilla scripts, did non-sequiturs and solutions via dio ex machina fall from the heavens and onto the daily pages?
Image from Youtube- note: trouble with link.

5 Likes

Godzilla a cold, Gamera a fever. :wink:

They’ll be better in no time at all!

6 Likes

If I could give you 50 likes, I would.

In the meantime, the temperature keeps rising, and the littlest one has taken every stuffed animal out as a sibling palliative. "You feel better The movies have distracted from the missed field trip today, and that is worth it alone.

I just wish Godzilla was streaming right now on some service, at least there is Clash of The Titans to watch at some point.

4 Likes

The sad thing is that if they wouldn’t of tried to pass that abomination off as “Godzilla”, it’s actually not a bad “kaiju flick”. When u watch it, do what they said in the beginning of ‘GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack’. That the people in the ’98 movie just mislabeled him. Or actually i should say that lone Japanese cannery boat survivor did & it just snowballed from there. Which people have done before in previous Goji movies like sed ‘GMK’ where someone actually called Baragon was Godzilla. It all boils down to this, that it’s only considered a “bad movie” cuz it was marketed as a Godzilla movie. Now, thanks to TOHO in 2004’s ‘Final Wars’, he HAS been classified as a separate kaiju named ‘Zilla’. Now that it has been made clear & cleaned up the mess it was, it can be enjoyed for what it is. A decent kaiju film of mistaken identity & NOT a Godzilla movie. If you still just can’t enjoy the movie, i thoroughly enjoyed the ‘animated series’. Which actually took alot of what was wrong w/ the movie & fixed it. 2 of the biggest being that ; 1.) His radiation breath & 2.) Other monsters for him to fight. Since by this point, & the failing at the box office, they couldn’t afford to use real TOHO monsters. So i thought they did a pretty decent job of creating their own. W/ a few kinda hinting at some of their TOHO cousins. I’m sorry i went long w/ this. I just wanted to say my opinion on what is still considered the cold sore on the Godzilla name. It should be reevaluated as not a Goji movie, but a pretty decent kaiju movie if you can go in saying that they DID just have a case of mistaken identity. Thanx

4 Likes

I’ll watch this one because I watch ANYTHING that includes Sally Hawkins!!

5 Likes

Paddington and its sequel - check 'em out :smiley:

5 Likes

Take a breath, buddy, it’s fine - and you make sense. You carry on enjoying it.

3 Likes

That was quite informative, thanks.
Welcome to Boing Boing, comrade!

3 Likes

Omg, omg, omg, omg!:smiley::grin::grinning: It looks SOOOO amAzing! I…can…NOT…WAIT!!!:grin: In just keeps lookin better & BETTER the closer we get to the release date & the more we get to see of the monsters & the movie itself in new trailers. If it turns out only 1/2 as good as it looked in that trailer it will be as good as Kong: SI. So in that comparison, it SHOULD even be better than Shin. That’s a tall glass of awesome to drink though. We’ll just have to see. I’ve been let down before. Especially in this case, for once i wish the movie actually measures up to how grand the trailers are. Fingures crossed.:v:
#ShowMeAnguirus
#AnguirusIsMyHero

2 Likes

The first kaiju movie I saw was The War of the Gargantuas but the greatest kaiju film of all is Destroy All Monsters.

…and the footage is reused in All Monsters Attack!

6 Likes
5 Likes

Oh goody!
godzilla_dances

8 Likes

Best song about Gamera.

6 Likes

I could watch an hour and a half of her and Charles Dance just reading the phone book at each other… which, come to think of it, would probably be less ridiculous than this movie… which I’m still going to see, because, come on! CCH Pounder! Charles Dance!

3 Likes

LOL omfg I remember those frames from when that issue first hit the stands. I was a big Usagi fan back in the day, I’m from Western MA where Eastman and Laird were based heheh. I had a Stan Sakai sketch he sent me when I wrote him some ore-teen fan mail, since been lost… :sob:

2 Likes

The Mrs and I will definitely be attending

15 Likes

Mothra’s coming!

Hide your sweaters

11 Likes

Godzilla%20Water%20Skiing

10 Likes

You know about shrinkage right?

The north Atlantic gets cold.

9 Likes