Godzilla: King of the Monsters looks just silly enough to be fabulous

There have been more than one in-story Godzillas over time. “Godzilla vs. Destroyer” has a smaller adolescent Godzilla (which was a cute smaller Zilla in the previous film, “G vs. Space Godzilla”), and a bigger and older Godzilla that overloads on its own radiation and dies. I think the original '54 Godzilla was killed by the Oxygen Destroyer, not sure where they all come from. Radioactive eggs deep in the sea? A giant Zilla Mama somewhere? Only Toho knows… The best thing about American Godzilla movies is that it always prompts Toho to put out a real Japanese Godzilla movie afterwards!

4 Likes

I wonder if this film will show any of the spiritual aspects of Mothra, or if she will just be a giant bug? If there are no Twin pixies in this one I will be disappointed.

6 Likes

Never saw Son of Godzilla, but I loved this one.

4 Likes

I unapologetically love this movie, which local TV played continuously back in the early days of my obsession with all things G. Godzilla being a grumpy, annoyed dick who grudgingly does what he can to help his idiot charge will never not be hilarious to me, and the giant insect puppets are beautifully realized.

I must say, the dialogue and performances in this new one are looking absolutely dire, and the FX aren’t quite hitting it for some reason, but nothing short of the collapse of civilization between now and opening night is going to prevent my butt from filling that seat.

4 Likes

You can’t have Mothra without the Twin Pixies. They are a package deal. Even in the anime Planet Godzilla they had them.

5 Likes

The humans in Son of Godzilla were actually certified mad scientists. They were entirely responsible for creating the giant bugs and end the film wrecking the climate of their island.

But somehow were the good guys

5 Likes

My kids know a patchwork pastiche of that song, and sing it when they climb on my back, where, space allowing, we spin around. They have to sing the song for me to carry them on their back. They don’t sing the Dr. Forester bit, but they do sing, “He is filled with turtle meat!” before going back to the transliterated “you are strong, Gamera” or “hirohito (abundant), Gamera”- which is totally wrong and my bad. Then again, the giant flying space turtle is large, thus abundant.

4 Likes

Obligs:

9 Likes

According to the chart, that woman must be 48 meters tall!

3 Likes

Right at the end of this trailer it looks like Godzilla and King Ghidorah are duking it out in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston. I’m a sucker for Boston based movies. Count me in.

Good guess!

giphy

4 Likes

This brings back sour memories. Count me out.

3 Likes

In G98, I think the Harry Shearer character says they will call this monster Godzilla, so I draw the inference that the movie itself knows that monster is not Godzilla.

1 Like

Seconded. I also recommend double featuring it with the second one Godzilla Raids Again, which is a bit of an oddity but a surprisingly good movie.

2 Likes

The Missus is a whole lotta woman.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.