Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Got any news that can help stem the rising tides of despair?

If so, please put it here.

On so many fronts, I see 2020 as a year to fight. And I thiink encouraging news can help.

^For example (yay!)

45 Likes

Summary:

33 Likes
15 Likes

https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2019/12/30/2019-climate-litigation-exxon/

Excerpt:

One of the busiest years yet for climate litigation, 2019 was highlighted by favorable decisions handed down by some of the world’s highest courts.

The U.S. Supreme Court kicked off 2019 by clearing the way in January for Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey to continue her investigation of Exxon, and she eventually filed a climate fraud lawsuit against the oil giant in October. The Dutch Supreme Court wrapped up the year in December by upholding the landmark ruling in Urgenda v. The Netherlands that said the government has a human rights duty to protect its citizens from climate change and must reduce the country’s emissions.

11 Likes
17 Likes
12 Likes

How the heck do you spend $78.45 at IHOP?

9 Likes

That’s a lot of pancakes!

Family? Entourage? Crew?

8 Likes

Maybe he bought up their whole boysenberry syrup supply.

7 Likes

More open Christian aversion to Trump.

Like the biblical Samson, Trump will eventually bring the entire edifice of American conservatism crashing down around him. Some species of evangelical religion will ultimately rise from the rubble, but it will be greatly curtailed, politically irrelevant and, I pray, more recognizably Christian.

16 Likes

Almost any good news seems trivial today compared to the shit news from Iraq, but this is still worth noting:

Thanks @Shuck:

US sends 3,500+ more troops to Middle East as Iran tensions escalate

11 Likes
20 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing!

giphy (17)

20 Likes

Thanks @KathyPartdeux –

The Gallery of Trump-Inspired Assholes

12 Likes

This isn’t ‘warm the cockles of your heart’ good, but I find it encouraging:

12 Likes

Thanks, good news indeed, especially if more conservatives could hear it (let alone be convinced by it).

I think of corporate journalists as conservative myself, however much they might identify as liberals and/or democrats. They generally toe the line on all sorts of delusional grand narratives about how benign the U.S., its government and military and so on supposedly are. And if we go to war with Iran, I have no doubt that they’ll generally go along with the “patriotic” narrative of Iran = Bad, U.S. = Good.

I hope to find time to check the study you linked to see if they account for that.

6 Likes

This is a portion of Finland’s new government.
From left to right: Sec. Education, Sec. Treasury, Prime Minister Sanna Marin, Sec. Interior. The oldest is 34.

21 Likes

That’s right, hit them with facts. It has been proven time and again that the US right wing is highly vulnerable to facts. Time to stop all the left-wing emotional truthiness!

1 Like

I agree with what I read as the point your snark is making. But I also think such info is at least encouraging to those on the left. And likely convincing to many who are somewhere in the greyish middle.

5 Likes

Another demographic change/reality that chips away at Republican political representation (yay).

https://www.axios.com/rural-america-political-power-2020-census-4d0b9593-fc67-47a3-809d-8b1dfba797ef.html

Thanks @chgoliz –

Relatedly:

11 Likes