Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

I read that and instantly thought of “The Parable of the Starfish Thrower.” I need things like this now.

12 Likes

This starts in 15 minutes… it’s upthread but if yer reading this on a Friday somewhere…

Noted.
:heavy_check_mark:

5 Likes

“They died homeless in 2020, their bodies unclaimed.

The city cremated all 23 of them and placed the ashes into boxes that were then stored in the Philadelphia Medical Examiner’s Office.

On Friday, four dozen mourners, many who work in homeless services, gathered in the damp cold of Mount Peace Cemetery in North Philadelphia to hear the names of the dead read aloud, and to watch the boxes be placed with tenderness and flowers into a 50-foot-long communal grave.”

“ “families of chronically homeless people do not have the money to pay for traditional funeral services, so their loved ones’ remains are left unclaimed.”

“To provide a sense of respect and decency for the dearly departed, we wanted to commit to the city’s motto of ‘brotherly love and sisterly affection.’ This is beautiful — something good.”

The good being the respect finally shown and those who made this happen.

18 Likes
18 Likes

Good things. We need hopeful, good things.

22 Likes

Considering the innumerable possible points of failure that have been passed at this point I am really excited about this. Stuff like this is the reason that I avoid working jobs where you make a physical thing and then send it out in to the world. I am terrified by the inability to adjust after the fact and stick with software and words.

This kind of quality is a miracle to me and I am in awe of the people that do it

15 Likes
15 Likes
15 Likes

That’s great! There have been cases about the need for ADA compliance in transportation (taxi or ride share companies) and sidewalks that I hope will have similar outcomes. :crossed_fingers:t4:

11 Likes
23 Likes

Everyone on BB saw what you did there!

5 Likes

That’s tremendous! :star_struck:

2 Likes

CBS Sunday Morning did a report on Hope Chicago today. Such a positive story - thanks for sharing it!

12 Likes

I have missed feelings about this kind of stories. In my opionion, we should not feel good about billionaries’ charity or gofundme campaigns to pay medical bills, quite the opposite. We need social justice, free education, and health care for all.

10 Likes

I agree with this, but at least some students and their families won’t have their dreams delayed and denied until those who want a strong social safety net take control of our government spending. If billionaires put their money to good use helping others to succeed, it’s better than the wasteful, selfish pursuits we see more often in the news - or here.

18 Likes
8 Likes

that is true stephen colbert GIF by Obama

13 Likes

I am moving this from “Fuck Today” into “Good (Encouraging) Stuff” because the surgery was a success! My little girl was very brave and she has a brand new lens in her left eye now. It will take a while to adjust, and they’ll need to operate on her right eye later this year, but for now she’s doing all right.

35 Likes

May her future be full of light and beauty.

20 Likes

This is a really wonderful thing!!!

18 Likes