Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

16 Likes

… and then proceeds on to criticize the SCOTUS right-wing activist judges. Beauteous.

BTW, speaking of the SCOTUS…

20 Likes

Family Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

12 Likes

Hellava good run!

25 Likes

Thank you for your service!

11 Likes
30 Likes

“I’m of a fearsome mind”…it could only be epic, with that starting phrase!

17 Likes
13 Likes

And the apology took the form of how many millions of dollars?

/s, sadly

12 Likes

This is only sort-of encouraging, given the date - and the need to pass both houses of Congress:

15 Likes

Dear Pope,

Center the victims. Listen to them. Then do what they ask.

The four parts of a real apology.

1. Admit fault.

2. Acknowledge the hurt and pain caused.

3. Offer to make amends; make the amends as the injured party has specifically requested of you.

4. Take real action to ensure such hurt will never happen again; follow through that in future that is exactly what happens.

Y’all have a lot to answer for.

Signed,
brown female human,
on unceded Tonkawa, Apache, and Comanche land,
on land occupied by Spanish colonizers,
on land occupied by white Texas colonizers,
recognizing her own part of privilege and blame, part of a system that must be dismantled

16 Likes

From what I heard of the apology, Francis covered the first two parts quite well. The indigenous delegates interviewed afterwards seemed pleased. That’s the easy part.

The next step the delegates have called for is for Francis to make a formal apology in one or more locations on indigenous territory in Canada, and to do it within a year. The issue of Francis’ ability to travel at age 84 has been raised, but the residential school survivors are aging out as well.

As regards amends, cash reparations are what is needed, and the Catholic church has been stalling about paying even the inadequate $25 million dollars they agreed to. The church could write a cheque for much more than that tomorrow, but they’ve resorted to fundraising drives for even the little they have paid so far.

13 Likes

If they’re having a small cash flow problem- they can always sell a Raphael.

14 Likes

Good. This is good. So far.

Needs of the many vs. the needs of the one.
I don’t see much of a conflict. Pope should do what is the obvious good faith choice, and I mean that term on every level.

Yeah this is the part that really sucks.
Meaningful reparations must necessarily include prompt restitution, in full, unstinting. No. More. Excuses.

At the very dang least. Sell two! Sell a dang dozen!

Talk is cheap.

I know the Pope wears a miter; in Texas this is another case of “all hat and no cattle” as yet.

The damage done by Catholic clergy in so so very many areas ripples through time and space, through generations, through real people with real feelings, trying to live through the unthinkable were they lucky enough to even survive.

My guess is that no matter the priceless treasures they have socked away in Vatican City and what those would bring at auction, the Church’s legal eagles are working the blowback angles, including “if we engage in enormous payouts for all our sins and injustices, there’ll be a stampede of folks (or their descendents) we killed or injured asking for their cut, and the Church will bleed to death… so let’s footdrag to minimize the payouts.”

TW: graphic troubling reading:

“I would urge them to really push back hard against those restrictions and to think about this very carefully and consult with several civil lawyers,” Clohessy said. “If bishops genuinely wanted to help victims, they would not require secrecy or an I-won’t-sue-you-later clause.”

15 Likes

Love the part in the video clip of his wee face once his mom is able to remove her facemask.

Go Emerick!

20 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

All the feels!

14 Likes

I mean, self-sacrifice is a built-in feature of Christianity, right?

15 Likes

Schitts Creek Love GIF by CBC

10 Likes

That ain’t a lot of acres, but this is still a good thing.

19 Likes

It’s not, but every acre returned is most certainly a step in the right direction.

10 Likes