Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

“I feel like I’ve been reborn and am experiencing this world for the first time."

Yeah, coffee will do that to you.

12 Likes

15 Likes

Auckland Airport.

23 Likes

How is installing likenesses of Elon Musk in public spaces a good thing?

20 Likes

It’s a weight loss support.

12 Likes

Those poor Twitter execs, swimming for their lives!

14 Likes

Hey, be fair to Gollum. At least he had a good side to argue with.

19 Likes
16 Likes

Storing the sun’s heat

Helsingin Uutiset reports on a project in the Kruunuvuori district of the capital that is converting underground facilities originally built to store oil to storage of warm sea water for wintertime home heating.

Huge caverns were blasted out of the bedrock in the area in the 1970s for oil storage. These are 50 meters below sea level with a total capacity of 300 million litres. They are large enough that three Finnish Parliament buildings would fit inside.

Helsinki’s Helen power utility and the Skanska construction company are converting them to be filled with surface sea water heated by the sun. Solar energy trapped by blocks of new flats will also be fed into the storage facility.

During the winter months heat exchange pumps will transfer the stored energy into a system to provide heating primarily for around 600 flats in the area, but also for other nearby residential properties.

14 Likes
23 Likes

From a consumer standpoint, I hope it’s a canopy without gaps. Yesterday, I got soaked waiting to cross into San Diego because the architect for the new border crossing checkpoint allowed for large gaps in the canopy along the walkway leading to the final entry point. :rage:

14 Likes

16 Likes
20 Likes

Woot!

18 Likes

But…

One should note that their findings in no way advocate people drinking more beer as alcohol is a risk factor for Alzheimer’s

Curses!

16 Likes

There’s lots of hop extract in non-alcoholic beer. They are making some very good NA IPAs. Athletic Brewing from San Diego specializes in them, and Crux in Oregon has a couple very nice ones.

14 Likes

Grow and munch on raw hop flowers? :thinking:

10 Likes

Way ahead of you!

15 Likes

:+1:

Do you chew on the flowers? I’ve seen a gardener do that. Can’t say i enjoyed the taste myself.

10 Likes

This looks amazing. It’s modern black comic creators remastering a mostly lost piece of black comic history

“Three quarters of a century ago, Orrin C. Evans lead a team of cartoonists to create the first comic book anthology of original Black characters created by Black talent, with the expressed purpose of entertaining while rejecting harmful stereotypes and pushing boundaries in the industry. This was only 8 years after Action Comics #1, 6 years after Captain America #1 and a whole 19 years before Black Panther hit the pages of Fantastic Four. All-Negro Comics #1 should be among those revered moments in comic book history, but the original print run was quickly removed from newsstands and in the present day, Superman and Black Panther are recognized everywhere while All-Negro Comics is a factoid that cannot be easily found or read.”

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/allnegrocomics/all-negro-comics-75th-anniversary-edition

Edited to add: stuff because it was not previewing. Also, they got me for the “I get one and a school/library/prison gets one and a teaching guide” level. I think I will check and see if I can get the teaching guide too, now that I think about it…and now it’s a $5 add-on! :grinning:

14 Likes