Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Bad idea. Fentanyl is used (properly) for all kinds of medical procedures. When used for its intended purpose, it is a miracle drug. You know how you don’t hear about patients waking up during surgery, screaming in pain anymore? Fentanyl is why.

20 Likes

12 Republican Senators finally saw the writing on the wall and voted to advance this bill.

Considering that it wasn’t all that long ago when every single Republican and most Democrats in the Senate voted in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act this is real, tangible progress and we won’t need to worry as much about a future Supreme Court overturning the Obergefell decision.

17 Likes

Oh! My better half mentioned this the other day… he’s a huge fan! What a wonderful musician!

12 Likes

Let’s not get TOO excited about this bill… it does have some problems.

13 Likes

I was not sure where to post this, but it’s mostly good, so…

I used to follow https://reallifecomics.com way back in the late 90’s/early00’s.

I only revisited a couple of weeks ago because of a post on here and now reallife has put me on to “For All Mankind”. Excellent TV.

And, more importantly, Mae has done an exceptional job of illustrating her transition. I had not visited reallife for a decade or more. I used to enjoy it for the simplistic ‘slice-of-life’ comedy, but it has become so much more now.

A friend of mine transitioned in the 90’s. I feel I understand her better now.
Thanks, Maeve.

6 Likes

Guess I’ll have to look deeper into that but the only one that the article explicitly mentions is that it allows the Mormon church to prohibit gay marriages from being performed within their churches, which isn’t too surprising to me. If the bill had forced religions to perform marriages that conflicted with their beliefs it would probably get struck down as unconstitutional anyway.

3 Likes

I think my mom had that with her pancreatic cancer pain management.

Edit - yes - it was a patch.

9 Likes
11 Likes

It only prohibits states from not recognizing same sex or interracial marriages from other states, but doesn’t say that they can’t ban them in their own state. So, basically, it’s NOT banning discrimination at all, just saying that documents from other states must be recognized. They should just explicit legalize same sex and interracial marriages, full stop. I don’t know why that’s so hard, but apparently, the right of bigots to be bigots trumps the welfare of the rest of us heathens.

14 Likes

Yes! I remember doing this growing up. We used to walk around in the huge field behind the grade school at the end of our street looking for these. Good times.

5 Likes
(If you have the cash of course.)
3 Likes

high quality GIF

A good thing? More waste made by the elites at the expense of LEO?

3 Likes

It’s weird. I was never going to go to space. But somehow it’s only when that stopped being because I wasn’t the right combination of smart, athletic, and dedicated enough, and started being because I didn’t have a couple million to blow, that I lost all interest in the prospect.

15 Likes

I guess that same float space tourism as a way to fund exploration (as well as extracting shit from asteroids?), but how about we just raise the funds for exploration via taxes and hopefully, in the future, LEO travel will be common enough that we all can take a turn up there for a long weekend… Right now, all it seems to be is yet another form of class signaling, as you note.

8 Likes

Hell yeah.

In the opening line of his order, granting in part a preliminary injunction to the plaintiffs, the federal judge quoted from George Orwell’s 1984. “‘It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen,’” Walker wrote, “and the powers in charge of Florida’s public university system have declared the State has unfettered authority to muzzle its professors in the name of ‘freedom.’”

and

“Defendants argue that, under this Act, professors enjoy ‘academic freedom’ so long as they express only those viewpoints of which the State approves. This is positively dystopian.”

The order:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23310542-doc-044-order-granting-mot-for-prelim-inj

17 Likes

idk sounds like a program to be replicated across the country right?

16 Likes

Fuck yes it does. I keep wondering why Biden seems to be totally ignoring the arts. They generally get so very little federal funding that doubling, hell, 10 times-ing that funding, wouldn’t cost much at all. :angry:

12 Likes

Yes GIF by CBS

10 Likes

Amnesty International considers Finland’s jailed conscientious objectors prisoners of conscience.

Sivari on sankari, totaali on tosimies! [civilian service man is a hero, conscientious objector is a true man!]

9 Likes

I wonder why conscientious objectors have issues with civilian service? I read the story and they seemed to have focused on military objectors and Jehovah Witnesses, but there really isn’t a reason stated for objectors of civilian service?

8 Likes