Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Excerpt: The bill passed 220 to 212 along mostly party lines, with two Democratic Reps. Jared Golden (Maine) and Ron Kind (Wis.) voting against it. and one Republican, Rep. Lance Gooden (Tex.), accidentally voting for it.

15 Likes
10 Likes

Kinda brilliant:

14 Likes

Yet another reason why I am a vegetarian.

Mind you, I grew up eating a lot of Chinese food, which included this as a treat and I remember being very fond of it:

In the States, most China-born-Chinese I have talked with do not eat dog[meat] and none of the ABC (American-born Chinese) I talk with do, at all, ever. So I take that for some good news.

Not cuttlefish but definitely a cephalopodā€¦ so, relatedly:

https://www.nokomis.com.au/product/new-books/invertebrates/molluscs-invertebrates/octopus-the-oceans-intelligent-invertebrate/

Yep, I donā€™t eat them either.

10 Likes

12 Likes

She is glorious!
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMerLLUxw/

(edited, attempted a link)

4 Likes

Tik tok embeds do NOT like the BBS.

Got a direct link?

7 Likes

excerpt: Gustafson was first appointed to her role in 2018. She faced scrutiny at the time over remarks about protections for LGBT workers.

8 Likes

I know this is the ā€œgood newsā€ thread, but Iā€™m really super cynical about this ā€œplease take away my ability to lob these bombs at peopleā€ thing. It rings more than a little false while heā€™s still actively engaged in lobbing bombs at people in open-ended conflicts when heā€™s well within his current powers to just stop fucking doing it.

4 Likes

After 4 years of dRumph and a year of being in covid lockdown, Iā€™m looking for ANY good news. Perhaps it is false hope but at this point in my life, I need it.

8 Likes

The iron supplied in the Lucky Fish lasts five years if used daily, and quite ingeniously, users will know when itā€™s time to get a new one as the smile on the fish will slowly wear away. When the fish is no longer happy, itā€™s time to get a new one.

11 Likes
14 Likes

That sentence is so oddly written, like you need to boil it for five years, lol. That would be some burly broth!
But this is one of several reasons I love my cast iron skillets, the added iron in my diet. This is a nice easy way for people to get those benefits even if they donā€™t have or want cast iron cookware.

14 Likes

If I live to be 105, Iā€™m going to have a total BS story ready.

ā€œEvery day, Blood and Souls for my Lord Arioch! Oh, and liter of tequila.ā€

3 Likes

Around here, we just use Lucky Iron Slag from the Railroad Tracks. /s

I swear that Iā€™ve posted about this before, but apparently not here.

A brilliant solution, not just from the low-cost, low-tech aspect, but the work for cultural adoption.

I donā€™t suppose that he has any idea for the anti-vaxxers?

3 Likes

Broader broadband

The farmersā€™ union daily Maaseudun Tulevaisuus (Future of The Countryside) reports that the European Commission wants to see a significant upgrade to the speed of fixed broadband projects supported by EU funds.

According to MT, the Commission will be proposing a minimum download and upload speed of 200 megabits per second as a condition for providing EU financing for fixed connections. Up until now, the requirement has been download capacity of 100 megabits.

The minimum for public facilities, such as schools or hospitals will be 1,000 megabits per second, the paper writes.

In addition, no supports will be granted for constructing 5G network in areas with a functioning 4G network. As a result, there will be no areas in Finland eligible for EU funding of 5G networks at all.

The new conditions are important, says the paper, since the Finnish government plans to use a slice of the 2.7 billion euro it is getting from the EU stimulus package to upgrade broadband infrastructure.

Maaseudun Tulevaisuus points out to its readers that this is likely to impact rural telecommunications networks. As it notes, public funds are directed into building networks that are not commercially viable. In practice, these areas are largely rural.

3 Likes
11 Likes

Oooooh nice!
I have a friend who works at Trinity College and we are long overdue for a catchup phone call. One more thing Iā€™ll have to ask her about.

Archeologist Neil Oliver did a series on the Vikings, and he does mention the Irish were trafficked as enslaved people; he makes the claim in the first 37 seconds here:

IIRC Oliver does cover how the Vikings made Dublin a slaveport, somewhere in the series. See also:

It is very unfortunate that two separate but legit threads of Irish history are conflated, leveraged by those who (whether in bad faith or not) use sophistry and human credulity to sell BS. The devilā€™s in the details, yes, but in so many cases, soā€™s the truth. Taking the time to understand is not something mainstream U.S. culture puts a high value on.

It must be frustrating to be a historian, sometimes.
Thanks for your needed and necessary work educating all of us.

12 Likes

But of course, when white supremacists in America bring up ā€œIrish slaveryā€, thatā€™s not what they mean. Iā€™m fairly certain at least some of those guys also celebrate the prowess and manliness of the Norse, who were notorious slavers.

And of course, the pre-Christian Irish engaged in enslavement, too, most famously, of course, St. Patrick.

It really is.

Itā€™s quicker and more satisfying for some to just come up with a pithy talking point to ā€œpwnā€ the other guyā€¦

It really is right now, as our society (in the US, at least) is very dismissive of the profession, and the right wing works very hard to further that narrative for their own gain.

10 Likes

Ah yes. I am now remembering thatā€¦ from when I read this:

Iā€™d like to celebrate places and societies that respect historians, since this thread is ā€œGood (Encouraging) Stuff.ā€ I admit that history has a bit of ā€œeye of the beholderā€ issue but stillā€¦

https://www.seckoukeita.com/my-culture

8 Likes