Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

13 Likes

“… many people who bought recently refused to allow their names to be used in this story.”

I so want to know if any of the new owners are connected in any way with the judicial system (or have influence therein) and if anyone in the Trump family had a stake in the property at the time of sale.

2 Likes

The GOAT:

15 Likes

Who knew that masks and social distancing might actually work? This isn’t the end of the flu,as the article explains, but combined with new mRNA vaccine technology it’s a hopeful sign.

17 Likes
12 Likes

Some folks are waking up to the hypocrisy of Fox News…

Maybe they’ll start to question The Big Lie next! :crossed_fingers:t4:

12 Likes

I was driving thru rural Virginia (trump country) this past weekend and noticed several bastardized USFlags with blue lines that were spray painted over with the word “Lies!”.

Somebody is catching on.

9 Likes

14 Likes
14 Likes

Okay I’m going to start off with something that should be in the gallery of arseholes, but bear with me, I think there’s a possibility of a happy ending.

The English football team is getting booed for peaceful demonstrations against racism by their own crowd. The political/press establishment is effectively siding with the fringe racists. They can’t marginalise their core support: racist shits.

Here’s David Squires’ take on it (because he’s one of the best reasons to watch football, so you’ll get his jokes).

So what’s good about this? Well England will do better in this tournament than any other in about 25 years. They’ll do it with a young, skillful, talented, likeable, multi-ethnic team. The squad has, for example, Marcus Rashford in it (future prime minister of England if he a) keeps it up and b) can put up with the shit he has to take) who serially embarrassed the Prime Minister and the Tories generally and forced them into humiliating climb downs on policy.

Now they will try to turn this success into a jingoistic celebration of Brexit but they have several problems: they hate young working class Black men; they don’t actually like football; they have in particular been rather mean to this team and its ethos; and finally, it’s England, not Britain. They can only do it if they truly embrace Brexit as an English ethno-nationalist movement (which it is) and this is something they have always denied.

8 Likes
11 Likes
20 Likes
10 Likes

One of my advisors did shape-note singing. I’m no musician, but even to me the sheet music seemed very very strange.

3 Likes

Just as a larger percentage of the population used to be illiterate or semi-illiterate, so too a large percentage of the population could not read sheet music notation.

In order to teach the singing of religious songs, the shape note concept was created. It’s a shortcut to be able to sing songs as a group.

6 Likes

We’ve gone to very limited mowing, especially out back (just once each, spring and fall, and a path around the edge and through the middle the rest of the growing season) and the fireflies are amazing! The other day we sat out there as dusk fell and it was like a slo-mo fireworks display. It’s a marked difference from our area compared to neighbors who mow everything.
We have to deal with some ribbing about being “lazy” from the more conventional folks, but totally worth it.

9 Likes

All the commentary I’ve heard about this (mainly English sports coverage of the friendlies) has been disgusted with the people booing. And my own impression, over years of viewing football in Europe, is that however bad they are, the UK fans are orders of magnitude better than the fans in many countries on the continent.

I’m a Tottenham fan, and had nearly forgotten the antisemitic rants opposing fans hurl at the team nearly every match until the fans returned the last couple of games. But at least we don’t have to play Lazio.

BTW, for some shocking examples of bad fan behavior, find last weekend’s game between the US and Mexico.

Unfortunately even at Prime Minister level condemning the booing is beyond what they are prepared to do. Quite a few Tory MPs are also disgusted at bringing politics into sport rather than at booing anti-racism gestures. On top of which the usual parade of Brexit backers are being platformed to spout their bile.

As for English football fans being orders of magnitude better than other countries in the continent: a trail of riots by white supremacist England fans argues otherwise. Never other than when English fans rioted have openly Nazi chants, by people wearing and carrying Nazi paraphernalia, been sung in Dublin for example.

I wasn’t really looking for examples of bad behaviour, rather good responses to it. If I was I could have linked to Hungarian fans booing the Irish team kneeling in solidarity against racism last night. I personally believe this young English team is a potential game changer for English football culture. And remembering the old days (when someone like me wouldn’t speak if I was in the terraces, and you would not see a Black person in the terraces either) this is a good thing.

1 Like

All I was saying is that the UK media, at least the ones I’ve seen (even Sky Sports!), are condemning the booing and standing up against racism. I haven’t paid attention to what BoJo has said, and couldn’t care less what Farage thinks.

The last time I saw Nazi chants by fans it was the Bulgarian fans screaming at Sterling in the 2020 Euro qualifiers. The English fans were pretty bad in the 80s and 90s – for a period I used to actively avoid the Hull City stadium area on match days – but that was a generation ago.

Of course, I agree that the English team is an exemplar of good behavior (though many of the international squads do an excellent job of showcasing the strengths of diversity). Team captain Marcus Rashford’s OBE for his child nutrition campaign is a well-deserved wonder.

England fans are a very different thing to English club fans. The last European Championship was the only time in living memory they haven’t rioted at a championship. I was listening to a podcast the other day which had a segment about that : Dr. Vicky Conway’s fantastic Policed with guest " Prof Clifford Stott of Keele University, a world leading researcher on crowd psychology who has long been involved in advising police forces internationally on the policing of crowds, particularly around football hooliganism" on how that was achieved. Policed The Beat: Policing Crowds - Tortoise Shack and it’s very worth listening to and is also a good (encouraging) thing. If policy makers worldwide take notice of the success of dealing with England soccer nazis - the scourge of Europe for decades - they might have a chance of dealing with their own.

2 Likes