Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

9 Likes

How about we don’t dump the whole mess on their shoulders? Older generations started this dumpster fire and everyone needs to help put it out. Otherwise America will be a burning Tesla at the side of the road, inside a dumpster full of toxic explosives.

2 Likes

Sounds like he had fun! :corn: :yum:

13 Likes

Shuckin’ A!

10 Likes
10 Likes

Celebrating youth activism doesn’t include the claim that old people shouldn’t also be asked to help out. Nor is it saying that none do-- look at Bernie Sanders! Who actually inspired a lot of young activists.

17 Likes

As I see it, our job is to celebrate them and support them. Particularly on gun issues we should be listening to the kids.
I sincerely hope they will save us. I think our country is in a sea change. But we olds absolutely cannot stop working. I don’t see how the statement “the kids are going to save us” and “we have to fight next to them with everything we have” are mutually exclusive. Yeah, their elders really did fuck shit up.* And that is a big reason why those elders need to listen to them.

*Some elders. The state of our country was a long time coming and our efforts to fix it are, I think, what will set the stage for the kids doing the saving. Someone had to help raise those kids. Someone had to tell them when they were small “you have a voice. Use it”

13 Likes
15 Likes

This video of Sweet Honey in the Rock and the VocalEssence Chorus performing “Ella’s Song” contains an explanation of the significance of the title of that exhibit, and the lyrics of the song:

16 Likes

Oh, they are the absolute best! Very supportive of each other, and of other singers. And yes, I’ve been on stage with them a number of times with my chorus, so I’m speaking from experience. How fortunate I am! They give so much of themselves to make sure their songs are heard, and it’s an absolute joy to be in their presence, especially while they’re singing. The air reverberates when they sing. It’s amazing.

19 Likes

“ Philly Documenters is part of the Documenters Network, a national network created by City Bureau in Chicago. The Documenters Network aims to make public meetings more transparent and accessible by engaging residents in accessing the information they need to actualize the change they wish to see in their communities. This work dramatically increases local journalism capacity while simultaneously creating points of access for anyone to participate in the process of producing civic media. Philly Documenters is housed within Resolve Philly’s Shake the Tableinitiative, focused on local government accountability.

Philly Documenters will recruit, train and pay Philadelphians to attend and take notes at public meetings across the city. Think City Council committee meetings, zoning board meetings, and other public meetings.

Notes from these meetings will be fact-checked, published, and available to anyone. Residents will receive training on best practices and be paid $17/hr to document meeting sessions.”

Thanks, Chicago!

10 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes
13 Likes
18 Likes
18 Likes

Sadly, California has to put the kibosh on it because people…

6 Likes
23 Likes
13 Likes

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

9 Likes

Speaking of anniversaries, Willie turns 90 on April 29 …

Wonderful indeed!

Why work on your 90th birthday instead of taking the day off?

“Working is really good for me, no matter what kind of show it is. The fact that I’ll be there for two days with a lot of my good friends coming out and saying hello and singing with me makes it a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to it.” -W. Nelson

How do you feel about turning 90?

Norman Lear, a good friend of mine, turned 100 not long ago, and I told him, “I’ve been telling everybody it’s just a number. Am I right?” And he said, “Yeah, it’s just a number.” -W. Nelson

via AARP

17 Likes