Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

Kind of a tearjerker, but generally positive if you ignore the death of a 4-year-old from cancer:

6 Likes

Oh my:

The mechanic checked in with his supervisor and got permission to return the photo to its place behind the now-replaced mirror, “so the girl could fly.” And he took photos of it as well.

[Not “kind of.” My eyes are ■■■■■.]

4 Likes

caitlin-doughty-■■■■■

6 Likes

This is the kind of action Dem pols should emulate- and celebrate.

6 Likes

Happy Birthday, Bruce!

12 Likes

bruce campbell horror GIF

8 Likes

Happy Birthday!!!

I’ve been a fan of his since The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

9 Likes
11 Likes

I want all of you to snap into action- and take a nap!

11 Likes

Tired Siberian Husky GIF by Gone to the Snow Dogs

9 Likes

In a multiverse of Batmen - only one is truly ready for anything.

9 Likes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1671908654755266562

3 Likes
7 Likes

It sounds like a good thing. But perhaps people living there can discuss.

6 Likes

Baby bonds!

One state is showing how to move forward in advancing racial economic equality. This year, Connecticut is launching the country’s first “Baby Bond” program.

This program will invest $3,200 for every baby born into poverty in the state. The bonds are projected to grow to between $10,000 and $24,000 in value, depending on when they’re used.

When they reach an age between 18 and 30, these Connecticut residents will be able to use that money to start a small business, get a higher education or job training, or buy a home.

That money goes to poor residents regardless of their race. But because Black and Latino residents of the state are poorer than their white counterparts, the program will significantly address the state’s racial wealth gap — even as it gives young people of every race in the state a path out of poverty.

12 Likes

(excerpt) The justices dismissed the appeal by Louisiana Secretary of State Kyle Ardoin of a federal judge’s decision that the map drawn by the Republican-led state legislature of the House districts likely discriminated unlawfully based on race.

U.S. District Judge Shelly Dick last year directed Louisiana’s legislature create two, rather than just one, House districts where Black voters represent the majority of voters, a decision that could boost Democratic chances of regaining control next year of the House.

(excerpt) Turning away an appeal by Charter Day School Inc, the justices left in place a lower court’s decision that the dress code discriminates against students based on gender in violation the U.S. Constitution’s 14th Amendment promise of equal protection under the law.

11 Likes

This is great for people who choose to have children and can afford to wait that much longer for funds to help lift them out of poverty. Some prefer more immediate reconciliation, reparations, and education:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/international-african-american-museum-opening-reclaiming-sacred-ground-100364510

10 Likes

Yes!

The baby bonds program is a start, but not much of one really. It’s not like $10-25,000 will be all that much a couple of decades from now. Hopefully it will help more by inspiring more immediate forms of relief.

8 Likes
8 Likes

There’s going to be a huge charity auction this thursday to help support the Immune Deficency Foundation that will be held both in person and on Twitch.

I know most of the items from internet personalities wouldn’t be considered that interesting to most BBers but I know one of them that might be, an signed gavel from lawyer youtuber LegalEagle (which can be seen in the auction’s catalog over here).

7 Likes