Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

I’m gonna need a translation on that one.

10 Likes

OK, it’s terrible that this is still a thing but good that they’re finally going to try and get rid of it:

13 Likes
13 Likes
11 Likes

:+1:

Look for the kind ones!

11 Likes

Understand Mr Rogers GIF

Although @j9c , I think I might take issue with being suspicious or fearful of difference might not necessarily be an “animal instinct”… we have an instinct for curiosity, too, even if we might be cautious of the new… I think it’s hard to pin down our “natural” tendencies, since we’ve been doing this conscious culture thing for so very long. It’s hard to know what’s “natural” and what is learned, with regards out instincts…

11 Likes

I don’t see ads often, but this Visit Philly gem popped up while streaming The Equalizer:

9 Likes

Achievement unlocked!

I’m getting good at applying leg dressings.

• Soak a piece of Hydrofera in saline, apply it to the wound.
  • Tape some Mysorb pads around the lower leg, and top of foot.
  • Do a nice wrap with Easyfix Cohesive, which is cool stuff.
  • Done!

Of course, if you have a different problem with your leg, I’d have to improvise. Bwahahaha!

Observing the nurses for half-a-year and having the lootboxes of supplies helps. (The nurses are great, but their dispatch system stinks. They get a short message of “change dressing” and a place and date, so if they’re new, they don’t know any of the case details. There is a paper case folder here, but they ask me, and “WTF? I have no medical training” isn’t helpful answer, so I do try to pay attention. “Yes, the doctors at the hospital did recommend Bactigras wraps.”)

14 Likes

Archive version: https://archive.ph/o70o1

10 Likes

As a brown [cishet] woman, I have been on the receiving end of other people’s negative biases (whether nature or nurture, I can’t be sure). I hear you.

I have also definitely had some Animal Instinct Moments when something clanged in my head that here is a person to avoid. The vibe I’d get is “danger! pay attention!” and as a naturally (heh) gregarious person, I’d have to pause and check my own biases, then typically try to politely excuse myself ASAP.

Call it a survival instinct. Living in some unsafe places has made me pay attention to that clang. It’s been accurate most of the time.

Some people in some contexts are best left to themselves.

:woman_shrugging:t4:

9 Likes

I think the fear and/or survival instinct is certainly the “animal instinct moments” that we all have… I just wonder how much of what we do fear is driven by the culture that we exist in? I think since (I’d argue at least) what makes us “special” is our ability to make meaning by creating culture, that we might not have an easy time untangling that… our instincts are shaped by our cultural drives and vice-versa, in other words.

lady gaga applause GIF

11 Likes
11 Likes
15 Likes
10 Likes

Vatican document highlights need for concrete steps for women, ‘radical inclusion’ of LGBTQ+

The synod is a key priority of Pope Francis, reflecting his vision of a church that is more about the faithful rank-and-file than its priests.

https://archive.ph/aZabN

11 Likes
10 Likes

Happy Solstice!

Enjoy your longest day.

10 Likes

Winter Solstice Goodbye GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

10 Likes
8 Likes

Nice that means friday is Juhannus a public holiday. I will take long walk through the ghost town.

8 Likes