Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

Hydro Québec :canada: is punching well above its weight on the battery front. No news yet on their implementation of the Goodenough / Braga glass battery, but in this video they demonstrate their prototyping facilities for solid-electrolyte batteries.

(There are sub-titles, in case the pre-revolutionary accent is not what you’re used to.)

10 Likes

https://apnews.com/article/geothermal-ground-source-heat-pump-home-cooling-heating-3e0a1a15751ee3c66e23fee2a170aa74

8 Likes

My father looked into a system like this, and promptly got sticker shock:

The sticker prices for ground-source are higher than traditional systems. But in a stamp of approval for their efficiency, last year’s Inflation Reduction Act highly incentivizes them, with a 30% tax credit. So a customer purchasing a $30,000 system would end up paying $21,000.

ETA: I’m glad to see more tax breaks and incentives, but it would be nice to see companies offering pricing/installments more in line with what community solar projects have done.

12 Likes

Turtles in, turtles out.

12 Likes

Please tell me they ride in those mechanized clothing racks like a tram system…aw, dang. Much more mundane but still cool.

6 Likes

15 Likes

Another production based on the work of Octavia Butler:

Learning who wrote/developed this opera makes me want to see this even more!

10 Likes

I’m excited about this too… I just hope it eventually tours so I can see it! Or I get to NYC like I’ve been wanting to do for years…

10 Likes

They frequently give them a lift across the road.

10 Likes

11 Likes
3 Likes

Not everything that sucks… sucks.

8 Likes

I’m still wondering how much energy would be needed to run all these cleaning prototypes…and what sources they intend to use. :thinking:

8 Likes

Given the aim, I can’t imagine GE being all in on its DAC tech without considering where the power would come from. Obviously, “clean energy” power sources would be the answer… and even if such sources only enabled intermittent operation of the prototypes and, later, production units, it would still be a heck of a lot better than nothing being done about scrubbing the air (besides planting more trees.).

About the vending machines and the plants/fungi… I won’t hazard a guess.

8 Likes
11 Likes

On one hand, good for them! :clap:

On the other, it sucks that this is necessary. :frowning_face:

11 Likes

I can barely make it to the corner store.

14 Likes

I remember going on an Environmental Club camping trip my senior year of high school, we hiked this trail…

It’s very steep and left us winded. While we were resting after the climb, we talked to this 85 year old guy who effortlessly hiked the trail multiple times a week. Some people are lucky and their bodies keep up and others get back pain just from looking at a heavy object wrong.

17 Likes

This is why some orgs are exploring options for making trails more accessible for people with mobility issues.

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/public-input-potential-impacts-of-e-bikes.htm?eid=129827

10 Likes

Oh my. Talk about “endless things to fight about.” E-bikes on public trails gets the non-E-user trail users pretty riled up.

6 Likes