Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

Dems are at it again, trying to break open black-box algorithms

Democratic lawmakers once again have proposed legislation to ensure that the software source code used for criminal investigations can be examined and is subject to standardized testing by the government.

On Thursday House Representatives Mark Takano (D-CA) and Dwight Evans (D-PA) reintroduced the Justice in Forensic Algorithms Act of 2024, a draft law that forbids using trade secret claims from barring defense attorneys from reviewing source code relevant to criminal cases and establishes a federal testing regime for forensic software.

The bill, introduced in 2019 and in 2021 to no avail, aims to guarantee that criminal defendants have the opportunity to assess the fairness of software used against them.

Often this isnā€™t the case because makers of forensic software can resist public review of their source code by claiming itā€™s classified as a trade secret.

[ā€¦]

11 Likes
13 Likes

Iā€™m set, then!

11 Likes
10 Likes

Aw, she finally got to see everything go in the right slots. Yay!

10 Likes

I didnā€™t even realize I needed that!!

9 Likes

The accidental party drug from medieval Europe might lead to a treatment for Alzheimerā€™s

7 Likes

Saw the image for the video, immediately knew they were talking about ergot. Wouldnā€™t it be great if it earned some respect, after all these centuries?

6 Likes

Itā€™s a common component in medicine used for migraines. I had a script for ergotomine tartrate for a while back in the 80s.

4 Likes

The researchers found that women needed just under 2.5 hours of moderate to vigorous aerobic physical activity a week to get the same ā€œsurvival benefitā€ that men get with five hours of physical activity. The mortality risk for women who engaged in regular physical activity was reduced by 24% compared to 15% for men, the researchers wrote in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

14 Likes

Encouraging stuffā€¦

Get out there and seize that cheese of accomplishment!

7 Likes

Seize the cheese? You donā€™t have to ask me twice!

String Cheese Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

12 Likes

18 Likes

They had that at SLAS a several years ago. It was awesome!

10 Likes

I was prescribed it after an abortion. I LOLā€™d, and so did mom. She told me itā€™s prescribed to make the uterus contract.

Slight tangent:
Why is ā€˜uterusā€™ a masculine word?!

6 Likes

(Tangential reply: because etymologically it originally meant ā€œbellyā€, and the meaning shifted. For a feminine Latin word for the organ, consider matrix.)

12 Likes

tiny dino thanks

10 Likes
10 Likes
18 Likes
2 Likes