"Good guy with a gun" kills a teenager

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/07/good-guy-with-a-gun-kills-a-teenager.html

11 Likes

Ah yes, carrying guns into a freaking sporting goods store means they’re trying to rob it, clearly.

Far too many people have a hard-on for killing ‘bad guys’ and frankly that scares the hell out of me. I’m glad I left the US as a kid and moved to a country where guns aren’t as important as people’s safety. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

48 Likes

Passive voice sucks so very very much. A kid was murdered, but no one actually did it. The gun was just fired, who could tell? grrrrrr

61 Likes

“…unfortunately, the (suspect’s) gun was fired”

BY anyone?

Jeez.

Edited to add: Looks like we all spotted this bit, eh? :sweat_smile:

27 Likes

Fucking passive bullshit wording there. The murderer fired the gun at the victim.

ETA: Cokes around!

Fail Diet Coke GIF by MOODMAN

22 Likes

Notice how the gun “was fired”. No direct mention of (the suspect) shooting anyone.

20 Likes

There is a theme here, ain’t there?

24 Likes

Great minds all in the same sewer!

9 Likes

We are all of us in the gutter
But some of us are looking at the stars

(And TIL this is actually an Oscar Wilde quote!)

18 Likes

Yeah, I was clearly told guns don’t kill people.

24 Likes

And yet gun makers do put a lot of effort into making sure that guns don’t fire themselves.

Was it aliens?

11 Likes

This incident is DOUBLY passive:

“… but the confrontation intensified so rapidly…”

INTENSIFIED BY WHOM? Presumably, it just blew up completely on its own.

Edit: This is so much worse than I initially imagined (and it was already terrible):

“After the initial shots, he stood over the teen on the ground and continued to fire, according to court documents.”

31 Likes

guns-dont-kill-people-its-the-bullets-ripping-through-flesh

38 Likes

By the invisible hand of the marketplace? That’s the usual culprit.

12 Likes

That could cause cancer or reproductive problems down the road.

2 Likes

to be fair, that’s also true of LEOs!

22 Likes

Well, sure, nobody ever got hurt, maimed or killed by a legally purchased firearm.

15 Likes

Stupid scared monkeys shooting each other left and right.

Around here we are so “free” with guns that the cops can shoot you for open carry and it’s legal to hit you with a car but… uh… free! Guns! Free!

Apparently these magic words are all it takes because gun suckers will believe anything.

10 Likes

Imagine living with the fact that you killed a 17-year-old kid, with their whole life ahead of them, because you wanted to be a hero, and were entirely unprepared. This is what the kind of gun culture we have in the US inevitably leads to.

9 Likes

Rush used it in one of their songs too. I didn’t know they were quoting someone else, too.

4 Likes