GOP candidate for Maine legislature says he's sorry for calling Parkland massacre survivor a ‘skinhead lesbian’

Perhaps her name helped prompt the other slurs.

5 Likes

It’s almost quaint that Gibson still believes “lesbian” is an insult.

24 Likes

Could this be the beginning of an American Spring™?

3 Likes

The non-notpology leads me to suspect that the Party organization has noticed that those things do more harm than good and have started offering emergency spin doctors.

5 Likes

It makes me suspect that it got him in a ton of trouble personally and professionally, and now he’s trying to walk it back, hoping a mealy-mouthed apology will make people forget about seeing who he really is.

And after a quick Google - yup. Dems and Independents can still field a candidate, Dems by tomorrow, Indies until June 1.

I think someone told the dumbass that he won’t be unopposed after this, and that he’ll almost certainly lose the election in that scenario. And now he’s terrified that his actions will have meaningful consequences. Hahaha awesome.

16 Likes

That is real possibility. Probably a “In case of stupid, break glass” sort of thing.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if at least by now there isn’t some unofficial handy-dandy reference – some Lista Apologia – offering insipid nuggets and tired phrases covering any and all occasions… because we usually get slammed with the same garbage over and over again. Or is it just laziness of thought: “Heck. If that’s what Senator so-and so said in order to check that box off, then I’ll just say the same thing! Easy!”

3 Likes

Yes, can we PLEASE stop electing idiots like this?

6 Likes

Spin paramedics to get the patient stabilized for transport.

3 Likes

He just had to put that in.

22 Likes

Haven’t spent much time in Maine have you? This guys got nothin on the governor.

2 Likes

Skinhead girls rule, ok!

2 Likes

Sorry, old fart, did you say something? All I heard was the death-rattle of white patriarchy.

8 Likes

FWIW Moonbat is extremely popular among commenters to BostonGlobe.com articles.

1 Like

An apology-magic-8-ball?

4 Likes

We are sorry we live in a country where he not only exists, but feels emboldened enough to run for public office.

7 Likes

Gotta admit. The name makes me giggle a little.

More seriously, the head of the RNC was a closeted gay man at one point (Ken Mehlman). He apologized for the Southern Strategy used by right wing politicians for decades, and then came out some 5 years later.

Near as I can tell, he’s not particularly politically active currently and it predates his coming out. But he’s an interesting figure in the party to say the least.

2 Likes

Big fat lol! “My behaviour was unacceptable, so let’s just be friends, yeah?”

This’ ridiculous.

3 Likes

Didn’t he kinda already with the ‘skinhead’ part?

Actually, no, I don’t think he did. At least not on purpose. If it was meant as a dog-whistle, it was a somehow opposite one. Because I don’t know of any Latinx white supremacists (making that assumption from her surname: apologies if that’s incorrect too).

1 Like

Dunno about gaydar, but he certainly looks like a raging alcoholic who also has no idea what sort of glasses suit his face-shape. Yes. Red-faced alco with bad glasses.

See, it’s easy to throw appearance-based insults around!

3 Likes