GOP Congressman DOES believe in climate change, thinks Christian God will fix it

I bet he was picked on in school.

3 Likes

I nearly forgot all about that motherfucker. He is every bit the theocratic hypocritical killjoy that he looks like. He hated everything fun and was also incredibly racist.

8 Likes

There are many Christianities. Most of us these days do not think the highest ideal is to go on a crusade. I hope the US government agrees. Or, to die in the Roman arena and have a Saint’s day named after you. Or to burn witches that you know to be innocent because this will cause the greater population to fear, and then to believe.

Ever read H.G.Wells’ “Joan and Peter”? While recuperating from his combat wounds, after crashing in his aircraft in the RFC in WW1, Peter has a dream or revelation of God as a “Great Experimenter” who reproaches him with not sufficiently exerting himself to realise his ideals. Human beings should not complain to God about the world, the Lord God explains, but “change it.”. When asked what he would do about human suffering in WW1, God points to a fly, and explained that man both suffers from flies and has the intelligence to kill them or even to make them extinct if they put their minds to it enough. As a result of this vision and of an encounter with an enlightened Indian, Peter “clearly decided to become personally responsible for the reconstruction of the British Empire” (Wikipedia). Well, hurrah! Jolly good chap our Peter…

Okay, it is a partly satirical novel. Yet, I can find sympathy with a God who may not condemn all life on Earth, but might set them a basic intelligence test. However, this is an intelligence test for all of us: if we all do not curb the US carbon emissions, we all fail.

Born again atheist, me. We either fix it ourselves, or we all die. Not very different, in the long term, really.

4 Likes

I just wish I would believe this religious stuff. Then I would also believe this guy and his cronies would really go to hell.

I just checked the news and then came to bb after a 14h work day. Saw that during the next four years, the US are still part of the Paris agreement. Your president didn’t leave the UNFCCC. Congratulations, he isn’t completely nuts. Just very evil.

2 Likes

Doubt he knows the difference between a planet and a universe.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I remember when they were the outliers. The “hey, we gotta live one here” you could safely mock.

Now, I still mock them, but I have to realize I will offend some people.

1 Like

Really? I remember the 80s. They were everyfuckingwhere, man.

Unless you mean the 70s. I don’t remember the 70s, and if you were there, neither do you.

In the 90s, they were outliers again, but Reagan was still fresh in our heads so we kept a close eye on them.

2 Likes

I actually do believe “god” will take care of this situation. That action is called karma, and will manifest as us getting fucked by mother Earth. Probably a good time to re-watch Waterworld, cuz Mad Max on a flooded-out planet is sounding about right. Won’t shock me if other countries go to war with us over this eventually, unless we get our heads out of our asses, and fast.

1 Like

Anybody with even a nodding acquaintance with Jewish and Christian Scriptures should be aware that God is not big on relieving people from the direct consequences of their sins. Just read the story of David and Bathsheba; the consequences of David’s sin included the death of his child and the division of Israel into two nations. God may forgive, but you still have to live with the consequences.

6 Likes

As do your children and neighbours.

I’m yet to come across a depiction of divinity in any faith tradition that does not portray the supposedly divine beings as unjust and monstrous. If Scripture is accurate, God is demonic.

4 Likes

No, no, no. Your theology is based on a misunderstanding. Jesus said that through faith you will have eternal life, but he didn’t say that you wouldn’t suffer consequences for your sins. You may be saved, but you are still going to going to die first, and that death may be very, very painful.

4 Likes

Know what I love about Republicans? James Watt does a total number on environmental policy, but it wasn’t until he cancelled a Beach Boys concert that Ronnie and Nancy go all ape on his ass.

3 Likes

Well, chaos theory and all…

I did just pass a wee bit of warm gas. Probably very slightly altered the probability of how the heat death of the universe is going to go down. I am the gassy butterfly flapping it’s wings!

1 Like

Preach on my brother!

But wouldn’t it be awesome if human legacy is actually self replicating sentient AI? Able to explore a universe largely inhospitable to weak impermanent meatbags?

1 Like

This reminds me of a joke (not a great one) about the guy who prays to God every week asking him to fix his money problems by letting him win the lottery. After three or four months of the pleading, God replies to the guy and says ‘Give me a chance to help you win the lottery, can you buy a lottery ticket for goodness sake?!?!?’

5 Likes

Sorta, but it also takes in Saline, Chelsea, Dexter, Barton Hills, and the western 'burbs of Lansing. Areas with fairly high incomes (wanna buy Dave Brandon’s $6M house? It’s still for sale), with lots of people wouldn’t be caught dead in a Wallyworld. Even Meijer is too lowbrow for some of this lot.

We had a random Thursday night hockey game last night, and my teammates who live in the 7th were fairly universally appalled. Hope they remember this next year when they go cast their mid-term votes.

1 Like

It looks like they may be using the wrong definition…

That’s just because all the time you’ve looked at it under the assumption that God was supposed to be the good guy in the narrative.

3 Likes

You need to branch out in your faith system exploration – the Abrahamic God is a right bastard much of the time, but this is hardly the case in all cultures. Typically gods (plural) represent the full gamut of qualities, personified.