GOP grifters drain Arizona Republican Party to near-bankruptcy

Taxpayers aren’t generally the ones who have to foot the bill for Republican campaign ads, though.

5 Likes

Looks like fodder for Sinema, then; it’s doubtful that particular segment of ‘Independents’ would vote for a Democrat, but may well vote for the power-hungry Sinema out of spite.

They could be called 'The Fuck ‘Em Both Party’.

Only one party has decended into outright Fascism, though. The Democrats have no comparable segment on their side. AFAIK, Antifa has no particular political affiliations, other than being against the likes of the Proud Boys and others of that ilk [who have political affiliations with Lord Dampnut].

As far as that goes, if you say you are against Antifa, you are literally saying you are pro-fascist.

6 Likes

If they’re broke, they should just ask the billionaire Donald Trump for operating money. He’s obviously rich and would no doubt either give them an interest free loan or an outright grant.

6 Likes

Every year, I’m a bit more convinced that it’s very very difficult to get rich and be ethical.

8 Likes

It’s all so fucking Schadenfreudelicious!

4 Likes

It’s expenses like sanitation and police protection for events like marches and rallies which, if left unpaid by the organization responsible, are usually passed on to the taxpayer.

7 Likes

IMG_9435

7 Likes

One thing I think is helping in AZ is that the population is getting younger.
When my in-laws first moved to the PHX area from the midwest, everyone in their “55+” development was more like 90+.
That’s just that wave - boomers can be terrible, but the ones coming to AZ from elsewhere are more diverse than the older gen.
Next, the rise in population in Maricopa county (the bulk of the state) also has drawn people from elsewhere over the last couple decades and demo has shifted quite a bit from over 3/4 white to less than 60% in the last census.

2 Likes

Young people have less money these days, due to various right-wing policy connected reasons. Even if they want to help fund their persecutors, they find it difficult.

2 Likes

Grifters… keep on Griftin’
Shifters… keep on shiftin’
World keep on turnin’
'Cause it won’t be too long…

(apologies to Stevie Wonder!)

3 Likes

It’s been known for a long time. See also, Mark 10:23-25

Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!”

And the disciples were astonished at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, “Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God!

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

3 Likes

Is “GOP grifter” a job title?

I’m in the market.

2 Likes

Rallies aren’t what win elections though. That’s one thing Trumpers failed to understand about 2020. “Surely there must have been election fraud, just look at how many people turn out for Trump rallies versus Biden rallies!”

3 Likes

13 Likes

Yeah I’m sure that all that money enriched some connected person. Really same tactics that Trump uses, a machine for generating and monetizing outrage.

3 Likes

Well, no, the only thing that literally wins elections is people voting for you (or fraudulently claiming you won them, then using your power as a de facto dictator to enforce your claim). Rallies can boost a candidate’s visibility and popularity, though, which can contribute to them winning an election.

I think it’s possible if you get rich by accident, eg Terry Pratchett (who once turned down a offer from his publisher for a new book, because he thought it was too much money).

3 Likes

Very much depends on your definition. On both words, honestly.

6 Likes

Near-bankrupt isn’t near enough here.

6 Likes

FTFY. The electoral college ensures that you don’t need half the voters to vote for you.

You really only need an army of statisticians to analyze every gerrymandered congressional district in each swing state to figure out which dozen or so have the power to flip an elector in your favor, then carpet bomb the shit out of those few districts with ads showing your opponent is a lying drug fueled rapist who steals from the treasury… oh, wait, that’s our own candidate? Fuck it, we’re still running with it.

5 Likes