GOP Rep. Nancy Mace goes full DARVO

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/10/gop-rep-nancy-mace-goes-full-darvo.html

13 Likes

Supporting Hair Furor is shameful, so she’s not wrong. She is being shamed and rightfully so.

23 Likes

She’s a #2 alright. And anyone who runs for the party of abusers by definition lives with shame – comfortably, as she demonstrates.

11 Likes

I’m surprised Mace didn’t channel her inner Todd Akin and resurrect the term “legitimate rape”.

9 Likes

“It was not a criminal court case”, which she states as if it’s common for rapes to be promptly reported and result in criminal conviction.

25 Likes

She absolutely can. She’s just a fascist grifter looking to enrich herself at our expense.

14 Likes

Misogynist-slur-based jokes are not a helpful response, thanks.

9 Likes

To put some meat on those bones, I spent 5 years as a trained advocate helping rape victims through the process of dealing with medical and psychological assistance and the entire police to detective to district attorney’s office to court system. In that time, I had well over 310 cases — which by definition were reported to police, or I wouldn’t have been there — and in all that time, despite many cases of the police themselves catching the perp in the act, or getting voluntary confessions later, only 2 cases total even went to trial.

Those are Pollyanna numbers.

20 Likes

I also want to say, she is guilty of blaming the victim. No, not Carroll….herself. She keeps talking about how she feels shame for being a rape victim. This is someone who has internalized that she must have done something wrong, and thus is culpable for the violent crime.

And, she’s weaponized that.

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Lonely Island

18 Likes

Her repeated implications that Carroll’s behavior is why women don’t come forward is infuriating. There is a point that Stephanopoulos putting this to her specifically is unfair; that she is a rape survivor does not make her more responsible for denouncing trump than anyone else. But holy shit, it was at least 3 times she tried to blame Carroll as the reason women not coming forward.

10 Likes

Is she hoping to build solidarity with Trump by getting sued for defamation herself? Republicans are disgusting.

10 Likes

Is she campaigning for Trump’s VP pick?

Denying reality is the first thing on that job description.

7 Likes

I first read the headline as the rep goes “full Davros,” and I wondered how the GOP got him on their team. He seems relatively sane compared to them. And having him running around yelling “DOCTOR!” isn’t significantly less relevant than the gibberish Trump is spouting.

4 Likes

Absolutely she is! I’ve been watching her do that for some time now.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.