GOP wants to rewrite history but Capitol rioters still getting arrested

Could be the new CAPTCHA. Click each photo with an insurrectionist.

13 Likes

I believe the clock on the statute of limitations stops once charged, unfortunately that starts the “right to a fair and speedy trial” clock.

Clearly we need to hire more DC judges & prosecutors, and find suitable overflow courtrooms.

I’m sure a bill funding that on a temporary emergency basis would have no problems in congress, right?

Apparently I have a much higher bar for feeling sorry. I mean I get the irony and all, but I’m not even giving it a sad sad song on the tiny violin. If you want to be John Wilkes Booth you need to actually come up with a real quote, not Q nonsense, and you need to succeed in your mission, and do it even after breaking a leg. Not skulk off home when it turns out breaking into government buildings and overthrowing a government is hard.

No participation trophy, only participation jail time.

Edit: un-autocorrected Wilkes

5 Likes

Part of the issue is funding, but another part is that you need judges and prosecutors and public defenders that are qualified to practice law in that jurisdiction. So you can’t just import an attorney who is a member of the New York Bar Association if they don’t have a license to practice law in the District of Columbia. So you still run into a bandwidth issue even if money isn’t a problem.

3 Likes

Bucket o’ crabs
Bucket o’ crabs
Can’t get outta the
Bucket o’ crabs

Try to climb out
They’ll pull you back in
Bucket o’ crabs
Or herd of small men?

6 Likes

These people are not the criminal masterminds they are made out to be. They’re jihobbyists, people who wouldn’t have participated in the riots had they stayed off right wing media and maybe taken up stamp collecting or birdwatching instead. They’re violent criminals, but they became violent criminals by going down a propaganda rabbit hole that they really didn’t have to go down. They are the symptom, not the disease.

John Wilkes Booth was killed by someone who literally castrated himself. That would be a very fitting fate for these tacticool faux military Gravy Seal tough guys who are strangely obsessed with manhood and cuckolding and all that.

Participation trophies are for the kids who stuck through the whole season instead of dropping out to smoke weed behind the school. They aren’t real trophies. In insurrection, the last place prize is the same as the second place prize, and ain’t nobody getting the first place prize.

7 Likes

You put enough rats in a box, and they’ll start eating each other.

Actual rats, I’d be sad about. These a-holes.

4 Likes

Do you though? My understanding is that the “local” courts are actually federal courts.

This was a crime on Federal property wasn’t it? Who has jurisdiction? I thought the Feds would have jurisdiction for an attack on the US government.

Toss out all the minor drug charges. That should make plenty of room.

6 Likes

“Notwithstanding Republican efforts to make it all go away, the snitching has begun in earnest.”
Most of them have already snitched on themselves via social media.

If only we had some type of video evidence against the instigators we could close these cases in short order./s

5 Likes

I hear too much dog whistle support for abusing prisoners here. Kinda ironic to support extrajudicial punishment of the folks trying to do their own extrajudicial trial on Jan 6.

Your ears must be more sensitive than mine to pick up the dog whistle. I’m pointing out the irony of the party of waterboarding now treating people attacking the US as just excitable good old boys. The one line you didn’t quote from my post was “Not that it should be used as a model for prisoner treatment,”

4 Likes

This is why I suspect a lot of plea bargains will happen, a lot of the indicted getting off with probation. And trying to be as sober about it as possible, I don’t see that as a total loss. The holy grail here isn’t punishing for what happened, but preventing it from happening again. Get enough of them scared that they barely avoided doing time, implant the feeling that this is no longer a fun game, that the next time they will get hurt.

It would be sweetly ironic if their actions resulted in them losing the right to vote, as I understand a lot of states still strip those on probation of that right. However, I am totally ignorant of whether it is true or not; I only know from Boing Boing that Florida used to permanently prevent anyone convicted of a crime from voting, and I’m not even clear about what was going on there. Still, sweet irony if it were the case.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Another weird connection of Fox and Dan White.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.