Grand Ouroboros Party

I still think that Democrats intentionally propping up the more extreme (and theoretically more beatable) candidates in GOP primaries is a bad idea for reasons that have been discussed before, but it’s looking like the primary in New Hampshire is going the way than the DNC wanted:

6 Likes
3 Likes

How broken are these people that they keep giving their unconditional support to a man who hurls every insult he can think of their way whenever he’s feeling even slightly cranky.

10 Likes

Can he really toss any stones in the weight department?

10 Likes

His official medical records put him a little over 17 stone but I don’t believe that for a second.

9 Likes

Well, pretty much like any other republican insult, there’s loads of projection.

6 Likes

It seems like a combination of broken and arrested development to me. Some folks are living as though they are stuck in high school, currying favor with the bullies or mean girls, and doing whatever they can to feel as if they are in their orbit (even though those groups would never consider them as members). A large percentage of that group might benefit from an After school special-style intervention. Those who are deeply invested in what the GOP/GQP have been serving up probably need more emotional support or deprogramming to recover from the abusive tactics used to keep them in the fold. Maybe accounts from folks who changed their minds* might make a difference, too.

*Not the pols and recent anti-Trump talking heads / journalists / business owners who are clearly still OK with fascism, but tired of their former Dear Leader making them all look guilty by association with liars, thieves, and insurrectionists.

10 Likes
11 Likes
20 Likes

He’s this close to self-awareness, but still miles away.

11 Likes

Kiss me, I’m a Nazi is the worst St Pat’s t-shirt ever.

10 Likes

Self-awareness is a funny thing.
Conventional thinking used to categorize it as unique to humans.

Now there are plenty of science-based arguments that humans are not the only animals capable of being self-aware.

There’s a world of difference between being able to see oneself as others see you versus being able to understand how others see you and not caring about that. It’s hard for me to tell whether The Gentleman® wearing the pin of the 3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf of the Waffen-SS is simply unaware of how others construe his bauble, or whether he really DGAF.

9 Likes

I’m fed up with the fact that he is all those things too. Especially the Nazi part. And the pin sucks too. If he gets demonized for being a Nazi, though, he needs to understand that being a cis, white male has nothing at all to do with it. I am all those things and somehow, never get demonized for it. Might be that last thing, though. Punching Nazis is never not cool.

13 Likes

And hurts your hands.

Huh, yeah… funny how that is.

John Scalzi nailed it 10 years ago:

13 Likes

Only if you do it wrong. :relieved:

Yup, and we still haven’t learned that lesson.

12 Likes

Thanks for the warning.

10 Likes

Uh… speaking of self-awareness…

ETA: not “Republican” as we define it in the States, but “Republic-an” re governance of a country by monarch v by elected non-noble representatives of the people.

I still think this is funny.

13 Likes

Particularly since he is describing the current Republicans in the US, i.e. Monarchists.

7 Likes

The ancient Greeks distinguished actual kings that ruled from tradition and I guess presumably divine right, and tyrants who seized power by military or popular revolution. I’m not sure how well the distinction holds up in a modern context, but I still feel the second term is a lot better for the GOP.

7 Likes

He is joking, right?

How does someone run down the middle of being both a republican and a royalist?

Ignore I live in a country that has taken a crappy stab at it.

5 Likes