Great white shark startles scientist by breaching at his feet

That’s awesome, and no doubt more than a little scary!:shark:

2 Likes

I might need need to change my clothes after that.

2 Likes

Yeah, that would be out of my natural habitat and in some other creature’s natural habitat. Many people enjoy hanging out in an ocean, sea, or lake, but I’ve had enough encounters with aquatic creatures to want to stay out. I live in the Northeast, where it is very difficult to see anything before you come into contact with it.

I’m happy to be well above/on the water, just not in the water. Sure, a boat or ship can sink (or be destroyed like the Orca), but I’m not gonna make it easy for aquatic predators to get me.

you have the same outlook as my spouse. (we are Northeast too)

1 Like

The thing is, sharks just don’t eat people. Incredibly, incredibly rarely a shark accidentally takes a bite out of a human, but once they realize their mistake, they aren’t interested. Getting bitten by a shark sucks, of course, so people don’t really care that it was an accident… But in terms of danger in the water, you should be watching out for jellyfish - although in most places in the US, any deadly varieties are going to be incredibly rare.
The fact is that cows are 50 times more dangerous than sharks, and dogs are an order of magnitude more dangerous than cows (even deer are about 260 times more dangerous than sharks, primarily just by being road hazards).

5 Likes

Where’s the GoPro footage?

If you haven’t already seen it you really should check out @thelifeofsharks - I think this guy was the one in the video:

And the recent dating ads have been hilarious!

9 Likes

After bad experiences with jellyfish, turtles, and an oyster cracker, I’m not about to test the likelihood of a shark encounter. As for the cows, dogs, and deer - my exposure to them is minimal, but we get lots of reports about dogs and deer in the news.

2 Likes

Don’t forget bees

1 Like

Well, anyway, it’s what I would do if I were a shark.

Or heck, vending machines (more than four times as deadly to human beings in the US than sharks).

2 Likes

This makes me want to set up a shark vending machine, to weird up the statistics.

5 Likes

Hey, give her a break!

Simone was following the signs to the audition for Air Bud 57: The Great White Hoop, and when she saw the boat, she figured “That guy overhead must be the director” and she did her thing.

She figured out she’d made a mistake pretty quickly- no basketball, no hoop, no toothsome ‘roided-up Russian villain; someone must have moved the signs. As always, there’s an asshole in every school of fish.

2 Likes

If you aren’t on Cape Cod or in Velusia County, FL it’s not worth worrying about.
Probably shouldn’t swim with a school of menhaden or herring when the blues are running, but that’s another scenario you’re not going to encounter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.