Grocer offers stoneless avocados to avoid 'avocado hand'

Additional thoughts:

Only cut open ripe avocados.

I use a paring knife to cut a meridian around a ripe avocado, pole to pole. I almost never have trouble whacking a paring knife into the pit well enough to gently twist it out. Have never cut myself in 30 years of guacamole-making.

I’ll bet those Marks and Sparks pitless avocados taste like bleah.

2 Likes

You had a deprived childhood. I have early memories of my grandma giving me softboiled eggs and toast darts in an eggcup.

4 Likes

Have you met people?

There is no limit to what people can’t do.

9 Likes

Yeah, my first reaction was, “What kind of rock-hard avocados are these people getting, both that they regularly cut themselves and are touting the softness of this new variety?” Granted, I grow Bacons, and you can cut the skin with a spoon, but I can still use a butter knife with thicker skinned varieties, too.

1 Like

Is it a stock broker? Is it a quantity surveyor? Is it a church warden?

No! It’s Avocado Slice Man!

Same here. When I was single, I used to cut it in half, and grab the pit with my teeth, then spit it into the trash. Now my wife says I can’t do that because she doesn’t want my germs in her mouth.

3 Likes

Boiled egg, egg cup, egg spoon. Boom, done.

“Ich kann Fledermäuse mit einem Eierlöffel töten!” - Michael Palin, Monty Pythons fliegender Zirkus

(And yes, the translation in the subtitles is wrong.)

2 Likes
5 Likes

Good. Avocados are the crabs of the fruit world - delicious but too much effort.

How the everloving f do people manage to cut themselves cutting an avocado?

4 Likes

I’m so with you on this. I live in Oregon, and it pains me to see people growing bananas that will never flower and palms that always look so sad that I literally refer to it as plant abuse.

3 Likes

If the avocado is ripe enough to be palatable, a gentle squeeze on the half with the seed pushes it out, and you turn it over and it drops into your waste container. I’ve never understood this silly knife thing.

2 Likes

Jeez, I eat boiled eggs out of egg cups with toast soldiers a couple times a week…!

1 Like

Smooshing an avocado is OK if you’re making guacamole, less so if you’re slicing it up for a salad or a sandwich. Not all avocado is best served at the consistency of play-doh.

4 Likes

But then how do you two … oh, you poor man.

12 Likes

I’ve got a real banana (just look at it)

8 Likes

I know. It’s only difficult if the fruit is unripened and rubbery.

1 Like

I think that would have also worked with the proper spelling… Haas. Wait a minute… my grocers (SoCal) sell as Haas, but… is it really Hass?

3 Likes

Annoying as heck, I bet :slight_smile:

But they could e.g. breed them to concentrate the seeds at one tip only. That would be relatively fair.