So, this is how to cut a peach so you can easily remove the pit

Originally published at: So, this is how to cut a peach so you can easily remove the pit | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Not mango or jackfruit approved.

2 Likes

lets see avocados pls

2 Likes

This is probably one of those things like that garlic trick that was running around. Only works with the right kind of stone fruit.

There’s two groups of stone fruit out there. Freestone, where the pit isn’t firmly attached to the flesh. And clingstone where the flesh is tenaciously attached. This is not going to work with cling pit varieties. Which include a hell of a lot types of peaches, and most varieties of plum.

Generally speaking clingstone varieties are smaller, juicier and taste better.

4 Likes

She does specify that this applies to the clingin’ kind.

Make of that what you will, though, bearing in mind that for some unfathomable reason, it is wildly popular to post outright lies about food prep.

6 Likes

1a779af4265aca5bc4c4811e9137c77f

7 Likes

ok, that works - gonna have to go out and get Carharts tho.

5 Likes

yeah, she says it’s a cling fruit, but i note that the peach she used is SUPER unripe. i want to see her do that with a ripe, juicy peach.

7 Likes

She used the word “clingy”. But that is very obviously a freestone peach, and having made that mistake once it will not work on clingstone varieties.

4 Likes

Umm - topologically, on her second cut she does cut through the line she says not to make your first cut through. If I’m going to cut the peach in half and then one half into two quarters, I’m really not convinced it makes any difference whether the first one is vertical or through the equator. Cut vertically, give a twist, separate the halves - if the stone still embedded in one half won’t come out, cut that half in half.

It’s the second cut that releases the stone, NOT the order of the orientations of the cuts.

1 Like

Unlike the heathens here, I’m excited to at least try it before badmouthing it. We eat a ton of fruit in our house and peaches are a tough one to serve to the kiddos due to the difficult pitting process.

1 Like

You don’t need a knife to serve fruit

2 Likes

I find that if you cut the other way first, most of the time the pit will come out pretty easily without needing an additional cut.

3 Likes

I use the Sledge-O-Matic… it removes everything!

1 Like

Just swallow them whole, your body does the rest.

2 Likes

No! That will cause a tree to sprout from the top of your head. And then your parents will have to sell you to the circus!

3 Likes

Now if only grocery stores would tell you the variety of peach you are buying ahead of time, so one could actively choose freestone. :frowning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.